1 - painting

i carelessly stared out the window bopping my head to the song that was playing on the radio. we were moving again, for the 5th or 6th time? i don't know,i've lost count.

my mum said she's waiting for somewhere to feel right, whatever that means. i just want this to be the last time so i can actually make some friends without having to worry about saying goodbye.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

we pulled into the drive way of a light blue house, not too big but not to small, it was nice. "home sweet home" "you mean it this time mum?" i replied meeting her eyes as we got out the car "i think so sweetie."

my mum wasn't the best of mums. she's a 'recovering drug addict' with a alcohol problem. she'll have a new man in and out of this house just like the others.

"hey honey grab some boxes from the car and bring them in" i nod in agreement and open the car door pulling out the first box i can reach. after placing it in an empty room i go to grab another.

"just moving in huh?" i jumped not expecting to hear someone's words from behind. "shit you scared me" i said to the girl while chucking a little. she was pretty, tall, dark curly hair, looked like she hadn't slept in a month though. "my bad i just thought id come introduce myself, i'm rue by the way" "river" i replied introducing myself to the girl. "hey is there anything to do around here?" "some stuff not a whole lot though its a quite town, unless you know where to go" i nodded smiling at the girl "whats your phone number, after you're done unpacking text me. i can show you some stuff to do" "hell yeah. here" i hand the curly haired girl my phone so she can save herself as a contact, after that we say goodbye and i continue taking boxes into the house.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rue

wassup rue its river you still down to show me around?

hell yeah. ill be outside your house in like 5 mins, be ready.

i didn't see a point in me wearing anything dressy so i just wore casual black joggers, black bodysuit my red jordan's and of course a jacket, i don't leave the house without a jacket. its because i like painting but sometimes i draw with silver for it to turn red. so i cover it with a jacket. i was waiting for rue when my phone starting ringing and i knew it was rue there was no point in me answering knowing she would she tell me she's outside. i slammed the front door not bothering to tell my mum I'm leaving, she wouldn't notice. she poured a drink earlier to 'celebrate moving in' we both knew that that was the start of her being drunk for days. she probably wont even realise i'm gone. 

"where we going rue" i turned to look at the girl as we casual walked down street after street. "just walking around, how old are you riv?" "15, itll be my 16th soon" she nodded at my statement "you thirsty theres a shop a block away from here and youll meet some of my friends" "hell yeah. the things id do for a dr pepper." we both laughed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

there was a bell as rue pushed the door to the shop open. she moved from infront of me and i saw a ginger boy sat on the countertop. "hey rue. whos your friend?" he spoke soft "fezco this is river, river this is fezco" we smiled at eachother as he nodded his head towards me. "hey is ash around there the same age, and shes new she aint got a clue about anyone around here" rue spoke and she looked towards the ginger boy "hes in the back" rue looked at me to make sure i was following. which i was. she opened the door to a refrigerator and stepped inside, so did i. 

"ash this is my friend shes your age" rue said quickly, he didn't even lift his head to look at me. "shes staying with you a sec while i go speak to fez" she left even quicker than she spoke so i couldn't even protest. "i'm river" i looked at the boy. he finally lifted his head to look at me thats when i noticed the tattoos on his face. wow. he didn't look amused i was here though. "ashtray" he said quickly but i still heard it clear enough. "sick name who gave you them tattoos?" "me" he was harsh when he spoke. i understand though he doesn't know who i am. id probably be the same if a stranger was asking me questions too. "can you give me one" "no. shut up or go find rue she should be done now" i didn't say anything in response i just left. dick. "hey rue can we head back" "yeah lemme just grab a soda, do you still want a dr pepper" "yes please" i walked towards the door handing the ginger boy, fezco. a $20 bill "keep the change, it was nice meeting you" "you too kid get home safe" he said softly from behind me as me and rue walked out of the shop and home.

"hey theres a party tonight you down to come" i thought about it for a second before turning to look at the girl who was already looking at me "yeah im down" she nodded to let me know she heard me. "that ash is a dick by the way" she laughed before saying "he just doesn't trust people easy, he might be at that party tonight maybe try talk to him more" i hummed at rues comment not really sure if talking is gunna make the boy warm up to me.

A/N
this is my first time writing anything so please be nice i'm open to feedback and i will read all the comments but again please be nice. thank you for choosing to read this book i will try and get at least one or more chapters out a day.

words: 1038