Chapter Sixteen

Raphael's words ate away at me as I led Anna upstairs. She kept a quick pace, almost rushing to her death. I suspected she wanted to rush away from the rancorous member of my family.

Henry stood in the hall, near the room where Lilith had entangled me in her web. "Lady Sadist is no longer there."

I envied his freedom to be fearless of her. "I know." The silence from the room was enough to know she was gone. She was still somewhere in this tomb of a house, waiting for the satisfaction of my submission. "Then we'll use the room for the process."

A cold, clinical way of describing draining the life from someone and leaving only a bloodthirsty corpse.

"Fine," Anna said in a soft voice.

Henry frowned. "Perhaps she should see the other mortal to discuss things?"

I focused on Anna's heartbeat so I wouldn't hear any sound that came from her sister. "We don't have time."

As soon as I spoke, another door opened and Elizabeth poked her head out. "Luke. I was wondering what was taking so long."

I grimaced. She knew what I was doing. If Henry didn't tell her, she probably overheard Lilith speaking to me. I hoped she had enough sense to keep Charlotte from discovering the plan.

I should have known better.

The floor creaked as Charlotte followed Elizabeth out. "Luke did..."

Her words died as she caught sight of Anna. Disbelief washed over her and then she lunged toward Anna. She wrapped her arms around her sister and a muffled sob escaped her.

"You're alive," she said sniffling. "I was so scared it would be too late. That Luke wouldn't be able to..."

The pure happiness in her voice and Anna's empty look ignited my rage. It was futile to be angry with Lilith. The person I blamed most was myself, but I had to exist long enough to destroy Anna. So I turned my wrath to Elizabeth.

I sped over to her. "What do you think you're doing?"

Her nostrils flared. "Pulling your head out of your ass. You spend a little time at this gathering and you start acting like a superior bastard. If the mortal came this far, you should let her make her own decision."

"She can't make an unbiased decision," I said in a low voice. "She's too young."

Elizabeth jabbed a finger into my chest. "Sometimes I don't know if it's because you come from a sexist time. The man knows better than a young woman."

Her assumptions made me angrier. "I haven't been a man in a long time."

"Okay, Dracula." She crossed her arms. "If you were a real monster, you would just leave. You wouldn't try to save anyone. Everything you're doing is tragically human."

"I don't need a lecture from a little girl," I snapped. "Our world is hard. Mortals never get a say. You only think you did. You're a victim."

Elizabeth shook her head. "I think you're talking about yourself."

I clenched my hands, only for pain to burst through the hand Lilith damaged. "Get her far from here. That will make things even between us."

Elizabeth looked away. "Monsters don't care about fair. You still play by human rules."

I ignored her good point and went over to the sisters. "We have to hurry."

Charlotte didn't let go of her sister, but looked at me. "Are we leaving?"

I stiffened. "You are."

Her brow furrowed. "And Anna."

Anna disentangled herself from her sister's grip. "I have to stay. I'm sorry, Char."