Chapter Nine

"Mother?" Charlotte looked at me like I had grown another head. "Do you mean birth mother or a vampire relationship?"

"She's not my actual mother." I clenched my jaw, revolted by the very idea. My mother was a hard New England woman, a church lady and a local champion of the Temperance movement. She died of natural causes in 1930, never knowing that her righteous campaign against alcohol would soon fail forever. "This is my maker."

"But Luke is still my child." She gave me a disarming smile, one that almost made me feel like she cared about me. "I'm Lilith."

"Lilith?" Charlotte echoed.

Dawn light was creeping into the sweltering apartment. Miriam sat in bed with me, staring at the light as if she wanted to remember it.

"My grandfather used to tell me stories in the old country," she said as I stroked her dark curls. "That Lilith was a demon who went after kids. He had a way of telling the story that scared me to death. I didn't realize the old man was trying to distract me from the real evil in our lives, the hatred of men."

I had stroked her tense shoulder. It was always a rare moment when Miriam spoke of her past. "Is your Lilith the one from the tales?"

A grim grin shadowed her face. "She would probably claim credit." The amusement had faded, and she clutched my arm. "I don't know if she is that one, but it doesn't matter. She's dangerous, and you need to stay away from her."

My life would have been so different if I had listened to her. Instead, I stood too close to her, over a century after that conversation.

Elizabeth had appeared, but she kept her distance from my intimidating maker. I wouldn't have wanted her to risk herself.

"So you're my Luke's blood promised?" Lilith took Charlotte's hand, and I went rigid. All I wanted to do was pull Charlotte away and get her to safety. "Luke ought to tell me that I should expect a new family member. You look a lot like someone I knew long ago."

Charlotte kept herself still. "It's nice to meet you. Luke told me nothing about you. I can already tell that you're very different from him."

Too old to have a reaction to Charlotte's challenge, Lilith's face remained a neutral mask. "Hopefully you won't pick up his flaws."

Charlotte lifted her chin. "I'd be proud to."

Fear shot through me as Lilith kept staring at her. Most wouldn't realize the danger of getting the attention of an old one. "Lilith, leave her alone. This is new for her."

"Is it?" She pulled Charlotte closer. "All the more reason to help her understand our ways."

"Don't!" I snapped.

She still focused on Charlotte, caressing her a hand a bit. "You've stayed away from your family too long. You're forgetting to respect your elders." She let Charlotte go and stepped away from her like she was nothing. "I want to see you upstairs, Luke."

My stomach dropped in dismay, but I followed. Charlotte opened her mouth, and I gave a fierce shake of my head. I caught Elizabeth's concerned expression as I hurried after Lilith. All I could do was hope that Elizabeth would keep Charlotte safe.

I couldn't.

We reached an empty bedroom, my heart twisting as Lilith shut the door behind us, feeling very trapped. I hated being alone with her. In the candlelight, she looked more inhuman than ever. A sweet smell struck me and I glanced at the bed. Crimson stained the white blankets. The tempting smell of blood agitated me, bothering me more than the question of who lost their life in the room.