Chapter Twelve

Before Charlotte could do anything as dangerously human as trying to save her sister, I grabbed her hand and sped her from the basement. At this point, I was willing to risk the wolves outside. Anything was better than letting her throw her life away.

At the stairwell stood Raphael, blocking the path to escape. A smile was playing on the bastard's face. "Why such a rush?"

With my free hand, I punched at him again, but this time he evaded with little effort. "We've seen enough. Move!"

Charlotte clawed at my other hand, her attack no fiercer than a kitten batting their paws. "Stop, Luke! Was that Anna?"

I ignored her and swung at Raphael. Once more, he dodged.

Raphael bowed his head to Charlotte. "Yes, that was Anna Gold. My blood promised. Unfaithful little bitch. She only agreed to our bond because she was planning to murder me. The little tart was still grumpy with me for snuffing out her mother's life a while ago."

Charlotte reeled. "You..."

"Don't listen to him!" I snapped. "He's a liar and only wants to upset you."

Raphael folded his arms and shook his head in a disapproving way. "You're the one trying to shield your blood promised from the truth. I am only being honest. It's regrettable I have to keep destroying members of this family. If they could just accept the inevitability of joining us, I wouldn't be forced to take such extreme measures."

The bullshit galled me. An insecure man like Raphael didn't pick mortals who would defy him. But I didn't have time to work out his motivations when I needed to get past him.

A sharp pain bit into my arm. I snarled, and the pain made everything fade. When awareness returned, I saw that a silver dagger was protruding from my arm. Since we had the same vulnerability to silver, Raphael couldn't have stabbed me. I turned my head and horror struck me.

Charlotte had broken away from me and was running past the tormented vampires to her sister. She had stabbed me.

Unsure whether to be impressed or furious, I reached for a glove I had brought with me and put it on. The repellent nature of the silver continued searing me as I tugged it out of my flesh.

Raphael smirked and eyed the bloody blade. "What a willful girl. Almost as nervy as mine."

I moved to go after Charlotte only for Raphael to block me. I tried to get around, but he caught my wounded arm.

He dug his fingers into the injury. "Why don't you let the sisters catch up?"

Of course, he knew they were sisters. The monster had known the whole time. It must have elated him to see the scared and desperate Charlotte get closer to her sister. The sadist wanted to see her pain.

"Let go!" I snapped, as he squeezed my injured arm. "We're not getting mixed up in your schemes."

Raphael twisted my arm with vicious force and pulled me closer. "Too late. You've been mixed up in it since you were given a gift from Lilith that you spurned. You were never free."

Older and stronger, there was no way I could best him. His grip was iron, and he was pleased to watch me struggle. Precious seconds burned away. If Charlotte tried to free her sister, it would be a violation of all our laws. She would die, and I would probably be given back to Lilith to correct my failings.

Rage exploded in me and I thrust the silver dagger right into his face. It pierced his cheek and he let out a howl. I had been aiming for his eye, but he moved away too fast. His agony gave me the opportunity to dash away and catch Charlotte just as she reached the curtain.