+ chapter twenty-six +

Project X

All Rights Reserved

© 2015 Luna Black

~*~

Author's Note: Alexa doesn't know she's pregnant. She didn't understand what Rhys said, so that's why she does a couple of crazy things. Please read the note at the end of the chapter. Don't skip it and ask the question that is being answered.

Xander snarled at her, his pitch black eyes glimmering with hatred towards the Griod that hurt Alexa. His eyes flickered to her and he visibly relaxed. Dram was helping her to her feet and she seemed to recover rather quickly.

"That bïtch!" Alexa moaned, wrapping her arm around Dram's waist as he helped her limp towards his spot on the squadron; right in front of everyone, but behind Xander.

Dram lightly touched her neck, searching for any contusions and shook his head in silent acknowledgement. She was alright. "The Xrion blood in you prevented your death," he uttered quietly.

She nodded, letting go of his waist to stand on her own and breathed in deeply. The pain was slowly subsiding, but the memory of the woman backhanding her feet off the ground kept replaying in her mind. It was pissing her off.

When she had growled at Rhys, she didn't know it was a challenge. She didn't even know why she growled. The feeling was almost primal; instinctual. Rhys was a threat and something inside of Alexa snapped, wanting to fight the threat off.

All rational thought left her, it was as if she were possessed by something stronger than she was and she didn't have enough time to stop it. The snarl came from deep within her and if Rhys hadn't backhanded her, she was almost certain that she would have won that fight.

"Xander," Rhys said quietly, taking tentative steps towards him, "ti mi vjo."

"What is she saying?" Alexa whispered, feeling irritated that the Queen had to speak Klázto.

Dram widened his eyes, a strange emotion flickering in his eyes as he whispered, "Rhys is Xander's mother."

Her heart dropped to the pit of her stomach as Xander stumbled backwards, away from the woman, a plethora of emotions flashed across his eyes and the silence began. It was almost suffocating the soldiers; the suspense was too massive.

That monster could not be Xander's mother. Xander loved his mom and whatever that thing was – was not lovable.

"Ayaní?" Xander whispered, his blue eyes still wide as he stared at her.

Rhys nodded, a smile growing on her beautiful yet scary face. Her teeth somehow turned smaller and she – for a second – looked...normal. Well about as normal as a woman with long silver hair and white pupils could look.

Suddenly a silver plane flew overhead and in a blink of an eye, there was an explosion occurring. The U.S. military had dropped a bomb on the Griods.

Rhys shrieked an ominous sound and suddenly Xander straightened his back and pulled out a stálo.

Alexa felt as if everything was happening in slow motion. The soldier that was standing next to her dropped to his knees as a weapon pierced his heart and battle cries were released with fury. Her heart began to pound in her ears loudly, making her feel almost incapacitated.

Dram quickly grabbed the fallen soldier's stálo and threw it at Alexa. She caught it, somehow snapping out of her confusion and he grabbed her arm before she could turn away. "Staying near me means survival."