twenty-seven ~ the procedure

"Londyn, can you tell me the first thing you remember about the Maze?" Janson asked the girl as soon as he sat down opposite her, nothing but a grey table between them.

She brushed off the fact that he had barely said a word upon entering the room but assumed gathering information about WCKD was more important.

Joining her hands together, she rested them on the table. "I remember waking up in the Box."

"Interesting," he answered, and the way he tilted his head gave her the impression that he was convinced she knew more. "Do you remember anything from before you woke up there?"

Frowning, she shook her head. She wasn't about to tell a perfect stranger about her flashbacks, and she wasn't very fond of this man already. "I didn't even know my name, or how old I was. But, I remember knowing things about the world, like, weather, or things like that."

Janson leaned forward on the table as if to convince her he was heavily invested in what she had to say. "Is that all?"

Londyn let out an awkward chuckle. "Well, yeah. Am I supposed to know something else?"

"Not necessarily," he chortled through his teeth. "I just think it's peculiar that you were the only girl sent up there before your friend. The other Mazes we've rescued, really only had one of the opposite gender."

"Wait, other Mazes?" Londyn felt a shock hit her, and Janson nodded.

He took a while before he could verbally respond, shuffling about in his seat a bit before clearing his throat. "We have a treatment here we can offer you."

She raised a brow. "Oh?"

"It's entirely painless," he continued, and she sensed somewhat of a wicked gleam in his eye. "But it will restore all of your memories from before the Maze. You'll remember your family, and where you came from. Most importantly, why you were sent up there."

Londyn thought for a second. Remembering her past would tell her everything she had been reeling to know since the day she had her first flashback, but at what cost? She would be essentially forced to give them the information.

Not only that but what if she didn't like who she was before the Maze? What if who she was now was just enough?

Janson's cheeks lifted with a smirk, and it was clear he assumed that she would say yes. But, she sat up straight, her hands resting on her lap. "No, thanks."

He raised a brow. "Oh?"

Giving a generic smile, Londyn shrugged. "I don't need the past to mess with the present or the future. I made it this far with just who I was in the Maze."

"I'm amused by your choice, Londyn," Janson remarked, clearly masking disappointment in his voice. "Many others would probably riot for this opportunity."

"Then they can say yes when you offer it to them, right?" she asked, but he gave her a blank look, and she suddenly felt like a special case. "Wait, you're not offering this to everyone?"

"I thought that you'd be eager to know more about yourself, seeing as you stood out from the others."

"I know enough about myself now, Mr Janson," she told him, starting to feel quite uncomfortable with how persistent he was. "Thank you for the offer, but I'm okay."

"Well, you know where to find me if you change your mind," he smiled again, but this time, it was hauntingly genuine, in the ironically fakest way. "Thank you for your time. You may make your way to the canteen to be reunited with your friends, one of the guards will guide you."

"Thank you," she got up, making her way over to the door which was then opened for her by a guard. That was weird.

"Oh, and one more thing," Janson spoke up, causing her to halt and turn her head at him, but he still had his back to her. "Would you prefer for your bunk to be in a separate--"