eight ~ lightening up

Londyn found Minho outside of the Med Hut, waiting for her. She gazed up at the beautiful colored sunset which was turning the Glade into an oil painting. She smiled, mesmerized. "Imagine seeing this over the ocean."

"Is that your hopeful thought?"

She looked at him, noticing how his gaze at her was always consistent, it was as if he needed her to speak to go on. She nodded, before getting an idea. "Wanna watch the sunset from the watchtower?"

Minho chuckled, a smile appearing on his face. He'd never been asked that before. "Sure, but I gotta do something first."

"Oh, okay," she frowned. "Don't be too long, you'll miss it."

"I won't," he said. "Promise!"

Londyn climbed to the top, plopping herself down with her legs dangling before taking a deep breath of evening air. Despite the solemn meeting the Runners had, this part of the day was enough to distract her from anything unpleasant.

Minho joined her within a couple of minutes, clutching two jars. He grinned when he saw her, and the way her eyes narrowed when she saw he'd brought the moonshine.

"Are you serious?" she giggled, taking the jars from him so he could sit down next to her. She handed one back to him. "We have a run tomorrow."

"Hey, it was your idea," he reminded her, taking a sip and grimacing. "I forgot how bad this stuff tasted."

Londyn smelled it, screwing her face up. It smelt dire, but at least it gave the Gladers a good night from what she saw at her Greenie party. She took a sip, barely managing to hold it in her mouth and blinking in sheer disgust. She eventually managed to swallow it.

"Well, cheers," Minho started. "To either die in here, or die out there."

Londyn's hair escaped from behind her ear, the wind blowing it over her face as she looked at him. She tucked it back, clinking her jar with his. "Or, to not dying at all. You lack optimism."

"You try thinking of something nice while being in my shoes." He raised his hand up to the wooden railing above them, leaning his head on his arm as he gaped at the Maze doors with contempt. "I would blow that place to shit if I had the shuck chance."

Londyn took a longer sip of her drink. "Do you ever wonder if you had people out there?"

"I used to," he admitted. "But that was a long time ago. I figure if I had anyone, they'd be looking for me by now. What about you?"

She shrugged. "I did the first couple weeks I was here, but then I started having to convince myself they weren't the ones who put me in here."

"What?" Minho frowned after swigging the jar, wiping some escaped moonshine from his chin. "You think too much, girl-shank. There's no way our families would do this to us."

"I mean, we don't know that."

"Whatever it was that made the bastards put us here, whoever they are, I'm pretty happy it's with you and the other shanks."

"Oh, so you're a soft touch when you drink?" Londyn raised a brow teasingly. "Maybe you're not as boring as I thought."

He put a hand on her back, causing her to receive a sudden jolt of electricity. "Watch your mouth, I could push you off of here, shank."

She swiped his hand away, shoving at his shoulder. "As if. You wouldn't be able to survive ten minutes without me now you know me."

"Oh, yeah?" Minho sneered. "How'd I do it before then?"

"How many times have you been up here to watch the sunset?" she asked him, pointing at the beautiful deep red fading sky. "Without me, you wouldn't realize that sometimes it's okay to just sit back and be grateful for what you have, then go back to running tomorrow. On the other hand, without you, I'd--"