twenty-five ~ one final shot

Deeper into the Maze they went, their chests heaving with every ragged breath. Running on nothing but adrenaline was proving effective despite their lack of sleep and strength. The narrows were only the first step, and even then, they felt the burn.

Within an hour or so, they made it to the Inner Ring, and the group began to stretch out due to those who were not used to running for so long. Minho decided to stay at the back to account for everyone, while Londyn and Thomas stayed up front to navigate their way.

"Keep it up, guys," Thomas encouraged. "We're almost there!"

They finally reached the haunted passageway leading to the Griever's home and gathered behind a wall. A ringing shrill filled the air, they all knew what it was. This was it.

Thomas peeked around the corner nervously, before retreating back with his head down. 

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asked, and Thomas breathed a yes in response despite everyone already knowing the answer.

"Shit," Londyn whispered as the fear brought itself back up, and she couldn't handle how many people she cared about were alongside her to face this. Tying back her hair, she handed Teresa a spare band she had on her wrist. 

Minho handed Chuck the key to the exit, patting him hard on the shoulder. "You take this, Chuck. Stay behind us."

The young boy only gave a nod, taking a deep breath as his cheeks glowed red. Teresa stepped forward with a final tightening of her ponytail. "It's okay, just stick with me."

Minho gently tugged at Londyn's forearm, and she could already see what was coming. "You stay with them, too, okay?"

Her expression soured, and Londyn shook her head. "No. This is one argument you won't win. I'm staying right by you and the others."

"But--"

"No," she cut him off, squeezing his hand. "We're doing this part together."

"Okay, Londyn, you're with us," Thomas agreed. Minho was not the slightest bit content about it but there was no time for him to object. "Once we're through, it'll activate, and the door will open. We stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying. Ready?" 

"We're with you, Thomas," Londyn spoke on behalf of everyone.

"All right," Thomas stepped backward into the Griever's view. "Let's go!"

They charged down the passageway towards their enemy, the Griever broke out into a roar at the sight of them all. Those with spears took the front, jabbing into it as soon as it went for them which sent them flying to the floor. 

"Push it!" Thomas screamed as they poked the creature while it wailed. Its limbs flailed around which distorted their surroundings quickly. It almost stumbled off of the edge but managed to steady itself and grab a Glader who had no chance, tossing him off of the edge.

Gasping, the Gladers realized how hard this was compared to what they thought. Sweat dripped from their foreheads to their feet, their hands grew slippery around their spears.

Teresa struck the Griever's leg and booted the key from Chuck's grasp accidentally. It rolled towards the edge, and Chuck sprinted for it, dangling his upper body off the edge. 

Keeping him in the corner of her eye, Londyn watched as he struggled, but her hands were full and she couldn't leave the others with the Griever. "Chuck!"

Teresa dashed over, catching him by his back and yanking him back up to safety. Just then, the enemy was finally shoved off of the edge and the warriors took well-earned breaths of relief, but, it was shortlived as two more were climbing up where Chuck had almost fallen.