22°

We arrived at the clinic on time, Liam knew some good shortcuts.

It was a big, white structure with lots of windows to give light inside.

I helped Jake out of the car and then stretched out my arm ready to lead him inside the clinic. The boy looked tense, as he did every time he left the house.

I squeezed his arm a little to give him confidence. -Relax.- I told him as Liam went to park the car so he could get out and have a cigarette in peace.

It was a beautiful day, the sun was right above our heads and warming the whole place.

It was a completely different climate from the month before. The sky was a deep blue and the few clouds that were there were snow-white.

Once we reached the door Jake stopped suddenly forcing me to do the same.
-Now I continue alone.-
-alone?-

I furrowed my brow, he didn't seem intent on changing his mind.
Mrs Black had told me about how Jake demanded to go the distance alone, I had forgotten.

He smiled quickly out of the corner of his mouth and then patted my head impishly with two small, light pats. -Don't worry Brat, I know the way.-

I was bewildered by his sudden gesture and could do nothing but watch him enter the clinic with a firm step.

I darted after him.

The hall was fortunately not very big, I could see him at the end of it as he entered a large corridor on the left.
I was careful not to be heard.

I began to follow him at a safe distance while he continued to advance at a steady pace.

He stopped in front of a crossroads where two more corridors continued and with his stick began to look around for landmarks.

A nurse stopped at his side leaning towards him, I moved closer to hear him better.

-May I help?- He asked him cautiously so as not to startle him by his sudden appearance.

Jake hesitated for a moment, then huffed.

-Somebody took out the plant that was here.- He exclaimed with a reproachful note, pointing with his cane at an empty corner near the beginning of one of the two corridors, and the man in the white coat initially looked confused.

-Em... I don't remember any plant, but they probably moved it to clean.- he said scratching his head and turning around hoping to spot it somewhere.

-It was a landmark for me.- Jake was upset and didn't hide it.

-But luckily I remember that the corridor to take is the one on the left, so.... with permission.- He said and the nurse moved to the side to let him pass.

Once he reached the end of the corridor he sat down on the metal chairs placed in front of some doors.

Watching him carefully, I noticed that he did not show any anxiety, he stood there motionless like a statue.

It did not take long for him to be called in and with a firm step he entered the room under the reassuring gaze of a woman in her fifties in a white coat, I felt a strange sensation of anxiety and agitation.

I went and sat down on the metal chairs and then started tapping my foot on the floor of clear, shiny slabs with nervousness.

The wait seemed to last a long time and when my mobile phone rang amidst all the buzz of voices in the distance I jumped, but I couldn't help but smile when I saw Leda's name appear on the screen.

-Hello? - I lowered my voice, bringing the phone to my ear.
-Girl, how did it go the other night with Axel?-
-We had a good time.-
-Is he good-looking at least?- She wanted to know. -Yes, he's not ugly.-
-But...?-
-but nothing, he's cute.-

The door in front of me slowly opened, forcing me to lower my voice even more.

-Leda, I can't talk right now. I'll call you later.- And I hurriedly ended the call by putting my cell phone away.

Jake appeared on the doorstep followed immediately by the same woman who had let him in.

-Shall I walk you to the exit?- she asked him, receiving in reply a head shake from the boy, he didn't open his mouth and left.

We repeated the whole way back and finally I was in time to leave before him to give him the impression that I had been waiting for him the whole time outside the clinic.

-Mr Hale, how did it go?- I asked him, approaching him while he hinted a forced smile.

-Everything's fine.- He said even though there seemed to be some disingenuousness in his voice, I decided not to push it and approached him handing him my arm.

-Don't call Liam. Let's walk to the car.- He ordered clinging to me, his expression seemed to relax at our contact.

We began to walk briskly towards the car park, neither of us daring to say anything.

-Mr Hale...is everything all right?- He seemed to stiffen, but nodded immediately afterwards.

-Don't worry about me, Brat. It's okay, really.-

I bit my lip, was he lying?

-After all, you've been putting drops in me every night, haven't you?- He joked in an attempt to defuse the heavy situation.

As soon as he saw us, Liam got into the car and started the engine.

We got in and set off like a rocket towards the villa, it was a beautiful day and I found it a shame to waste it at home.

I wanted to ask to go for a walk, but at the sight of Jake I changed my mind.

The boy had his head resting on the headboard of the light seat with his mouth half open and his eyes closed, as if he were sleeping.

He looked exhausted.
A deep sigh escaped his lips and I noticed his left hand clench into a fist.

Things weren't going as well as he insisted they were, but it was obvious he didn't want to talk about it.

He couldn't, however, keep it all inside all the time.

I didn't want to force him or embarrass him, but I wanted to know.

Only then maybe I could help him, and even if he didn't want to, I would have tried anyway.

It probably wasn't the case to talk about it in the car where Liam was, so I convinced myself that I would broach the subject once at the villa.