19°

At the entrance of a picturesque Italian restaurant, Axel was waiting for me.

I approached with a shy smile, and he seemed to recognise me immediately.

-Amber! It's a pleasure to see you again.- He exclaimed in that slight French accent, flashing a warm smile.

Behind him, a small head of thick, curly hair appeared, two hazel eyes stared down at the world from below.

-Oh, this is my son. Théo, don't be shy.- Axel encouraged him before turning to me with an opening smile.

-Excuse me, the babysitter cancelled at the last moment.-

-No problem.- I murmured, crouching down to reach Théo's height.

Gently, I waved my hand in a gesture of greeting that I accompanied with a smile.

-Hello Théo, I'm Amby.- I introduced myself, but received only a shy smile in response.

As soon as we entered the restaurant, I noticed its different rooms.

A small entrance with a few tables was crowded with people.

The bar was in a separate room at the far end of the restaurant.

Four other rooms, all with tables, surrounded the main room.

Our table was in one of these rooms, offering us quiet privacy.

-How's work going?- Axel asked, handing me a menu.

-I'm not complaining, and you?-

-Same.- He replied with a smile, before starting to examine the restaurant's culinary options.

We each placed our order, and when the waiter left, we could finally enjoy a quiet moment to converse.

I shared with Axel a frank, no-nonsense account of my life: from my birth in New York, where I had lived until the beginning of primary school, to moving to San Francisco, to my aunt and uncle's, after the tragic death of our parents.

Then, it was his turn to share.

Twenty-eight-year-old Axel Durand, originally from Marseilles, had made a bold choice at the age of twenty-two, deciding to leave everything behind, take Théo, and move to California.

He called it "an adventure."

Deep down, I wondered what it would take to drop everything and begin a journey into the unknown.

Immersed in these thoughts, I lost the thread of his speech, while Axel, playing with a bracelet on his wrist, continued to tell his story.

Only when I noticed that little Théo was staring at me from behind a large glass of Coca-Cola did I return to the present.

-Théo, tell me: have you started school yet?- I asked, eager to engage him in conversation.

The child only nodded.

-He recently started first grade.- Axel explained, placing his napkin on his lap.

-And what do you like to do when you are not at school?- Théo looked at me with curious eyes and took his time before answering with a shy smile.

-I like to draw.- He said in a low voice.

-Really?- I replied enthusiastically. -I like it a lot, too! What do you like to draw?-

He looked thoughtful for a moment.

-Dinosaurs and dragons.- He whispered, as if sharing a secret.

-Wow, dinosaurs and dragons are great! Do you have any drawings to show me?- I asked, intrigued.