Chapter 9 ☆

introduction of text convos! it's a little confusing but u'll get the hang of it

song #9: it's nice to have a friend by tswift

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't speak to Oliver the next day at school. Thankfully, I didn't have any classes with him, but lunch was a little trickier.

I looked around at the many tables attempting to find a safe spot, ideally with no kids who looked like they spent their free time playing fortnite. Out of nowhere, I watched as a group of kids collectively got up leaving one table completely empty. Bingo.

Sure it was a little sad eating alone, but it was also nice getting some peace and quiet.

I began unwrapping the sandwich provided by the school and identified it as a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo. Yuck.

"Hey, what are you doing over here?" I looked up to see Jenna peering down at me confused.

I shrugged, "No reason."

She frowned, completely unconvinced, "Um, okay?"

"I just need some time to think," I said.

Her expression didn't change.

"I'm completely fine," I added, attempting to reassure her.

She nodded, hesitantly, "Okay, well since I'm here, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out over the weekend."

"Yeah definitely, just text me," I responded, smiling.

She smiled back, "Okay great, I'll see you later."

I nodded, waving to her.

One of my worst and best qualities is that I trust manipulators and not friends. I want to trust people. I want to see the best in people, but it's hard when most friends become manipulators.

"You seem focused," a voice said. I looked up to see Drew sitting down across from me; lunch tray in hand.

I frowned, "Hello to you too."

He laughed, "What are you thinking about?"

I shrugged, "Nothing, what are you doing here?"

"We're friends, right?"

I hesitated, "Yeah, I guess."

He rolled his eyes at that, "We are friends, and friends eat lunch together."

I raised an eyebrow at him, "Okay?"

"So let's eat lunch together," he said, beginning to unwrap his sandwich, "How's the food today?"

"Fine," I frowned, "Is this a pity sit?"

He stared at me, "A what?"

"Are you sitting with me because you pity me?"

"What, no!" he immediately exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes, "Thanks, but I don't need your pity."

He shook his head, "I'm not pitying you."

"Okay, then why are you choosing to sit with me over your friends?"

He let out a sigh of frustration, "We are friends, and I'm sitting here because you're way more interesting than my other friends."

That got my attention, "What?"

"Talking to you was the most fun I've had since freshman year," he said, sighing.