Chapter 7 ☆

this chapter's kinda cute tbh

song #7: velvet ring by big thief

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like making people laugh. I like painting my nails cherry red. I like coating my delicate lashes in thick mascara. I like agreeing with people. I like spending hours each morning morphing my thick black hair into perfect waves. I like smiling. I like feeling liked. I like being what other people want me to be. What's wrong with that?

Jenna. I did not get her. One minute she acts like a total bitch, the next she acts like an angel sent down from heaven. Either way, I was determined to get on her good side.

"Hey," I said, leaning against the locker next to hers.

She maintained eye contact with her notebooks, "Hi."

"So, I was wondering if you wanted to hangout after school."

To my surprise, her head shot up and in replace of her typical cold demeanor stood a confused, but softened smile, "Really?"

I smiled, "Really."

"Okay, sure," she replied, shutting her locker.

"Great, I'll wait for you outside."

She smiled, "Okay."

"Okay, I'll see you later."

Mission accomplished.

I shoved all of my unwanted textbooks into my bag and zipped it before they could all spill out. Throwing a strap over my shoulder, I walked outside before pulling out my phone and texted Jenna.

I had asked Oliver for Jenna's number in which he gave me a puzzled, almost distraught, look.

"What? Why do you want Jenna's number?"

"We're hanging out after school and since you have her number, I figured you could give it to me."

"Why are you hanging out with her?"

"Um, because I want to?"

"Hangout with Lacy or something."

"Why?"

"No reason," he replied, turning his head away.

"No, give me an answer. Tell me why you're so bothered that I'm hanging out with Jenna."

"I'm not! You can hang out with whoever you want."

"Okay."

"I'm just saying- Nevermind." Oliver was being weird.

"Oliver! Either give me an answer or give me her number."

"No."

"Look, if there's a reason I shouldn't be hanging out with her just tell me. I won't say-"

"There's not!"

"Okay! Then if there's not a reason, and you're not bothered, why can't you give me her number?"
"I- I don't know." I just stared at him.

He bit his lip before finally: "Fine! You can have her number. Give me your phone."

"Okay," I replied, making an honest attempt at containing the smile tingling at my lips.

I watched him type in the phone number with his pointer fingers, "Who the hell types like that?"

He stared at me in disbelief, "Do you ever not say a thought the second it comes into your head?"