14: Always Second to First

"You kissed?" Enid gasped as Victoria's eyes widened and she tackled her under the bus seats. "Why're you just telling me this now?"

"You said you needed some good news!" Victoria answered quietly. "I wasn't sure when the right time was to tell you."

"I was expecting politics!" Enid said. "But oh my gosh, this is completely expected, if I'm being honest."

The good news was meant to bring light from the events of Mayor Walker's death. It had been a strange one, as he was recovering in the hospital until his breathing machine was unhooked. Nevertheless, it was still categorized as a murder mystery.

"I believe whoever's behind Mayor Walker's death is also behind the attacks," Wednesday said when the three of them discovered that the school would be attending his funeral.

Enid blamed Wednesday for having to "sabotage" Victoria and Tyler's date when they could've peacefully been by themselves. But instead, they all almost died from the monster behind the attacks. She called Wednesday's decisions selfish and reckless before moving out to Yoko's room for a peace of mind. With that being said, Victoria had to play messenger for them.

"What do you mean this is completely expected?" Victoria questioned Enid as Wednesday stood beside them, curious.

Enid gave Victoria an are you kidding look. "Come on, Victoria. Why do you think that normie's been hanging around Wednesday so much and trying to get your attention? It's obvious you've charmed him. He's had a major crush on you since the day you stepped foot in town!"

"Crush is an immature way to put it," Victoria said. "And I'd prefer to not give my hopes up just yet."

"You literally kissed," Enid gawked. "What more do you need?"

She wasn't sure. It just didn't feel right.

As the three girls followed Weems through the rainy weather and onto the grass where Mayor Walker was being buried. The Nevermore students were given an umbrella for the weather. It was cloudy, among many faces of Jericho residents. Caleb Walker was standing under his umbrella, his face hidden but grief transparent like glass.

Despite what happened at the Rave'N, Victoria found it easy to feel sorry for the boy. She could not imagine losing her own father at that same age. Not even a friend.

She spotted Sheriff Glapin approach a little podium for a brief speech. Her mind immediately searched the crowd for Tyler, but it was all black and umbrellas. Yet the umbrellas created a sense of space.

Then to her delight, there he was. Tyler.

He was dressed in formal clothing, black and white. Much like everyone else there, but she could not help but notice how his stare remained on someone other than her with expressive eyes. He seemed to be in thought as his eyes rested on Wednesday. Wednesday, too, looked over at him with cold eyes before Victoria stepped further from the crowd, bumping into someone.

"Oops! Could poke someone with that umbrella," Miss Thornhill said with a slight gesture. She then fixated on Victoria's expression. "Are you alright, honey?"

She nodded. "It's a funeral, I'm not quite sure how else I should be feeling right now." She smiled lightly.

"Well," Thornhill said, gesturing briefly with her hands. "Death brings people together. It's not always a sense of happiness, but senses of union are quite strong. Even if it were just two people brought together by tragedy–there's always a bright way to see things. We get to choose how we feel during times like this."

Victoria nodded, agreeing. Even Doctor Kinbott wouldn't have been able to put it into better words.

"How do you feel?" Victoria asked Thornhill curiously.