3: Nothing Special

In the depth of her dreams, Victoria was awakened by a flash of light. She sat straight up from her bed, her heart racing as she looked around her dark room, dimly being lit by the moonlight through her window. It was midnight.

"Lumos," she said, a source of light hovering over her palm as she looked around her room from her bed.

The girl couldn't shake off the strong feeling that she was being watched as she also knew that her window could open to a little balcony. A balcony that could be reached by a skilled climber.

She was just awakened by a dream that was more of a memory–a memory of her times at Beauxbatons. But she wasn't so deeply asleep yet.

So she immediately shut her window and the curtains, paranoid to the fullest extent as she took a final look around her room before laying back down. Until then, she felt safe at Nevermore.

"Nox."

- - - ᡣ𐭩 - - -

"How strange, are you sure it wasn't just all in your head?" Enid asked Victoria once she told her the following night.

The both of them stood by the gates of the Harvest Festival, under the cloudy night sky that was illuminated by the celebrations. Victoria had not expected Enid to fully understand her situation, but she was at least willing to listen.

"What was all in her head?" a voice from behind joined them.

Victoria turned around and saw Tyler approaching them with his hands in his pocket, almost nervous about something. His dad was not far behind as he walked off.

"Well, that's my cue to find Wednesday. I'll meet you by the food vendors soon, Victoria," Enid said before walking off into the distance to search for her friend in the parking lot. They watched as the pink haired girl wandered off before Tyler turned his attention back to her. But Victoria spoke first.

"Why are you her cue to get Wednesday?" Victoria asked, then remembered their conversation at the Weathervane. "You're giving her a ride, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am," Tyler said. "But it's nothing special."

"Oh," she thought.

"Care to explain what she was talking about?" Tyler asked, refusing to move on from the topic that she hoped she wouldn't have to explain to him.

"It's nothing."

"You sure seem bothered by 'nothing'," Tyler said sarcastically, crossing his arms now with furrowed brows. "You know you can talk to me about it."

"Do I, though?" Victoria remarked with the same furrowed brows.

Tyler tilted his head. "Yes, you can."

Reluctantly, Victoria gave in. "Last night I woke up from a flash. I don't think it was in my head because I wasn't even fully asleep yet and it wasn't raining either, so..."

"It couldn't have been lightning," Tyler said, filling in the pieces. "So do you think you're being watched? Perhaps stalked?"

Victoria didn't want it to be true, so she replied, "I'm honestly not sure. It was just weird, but I know that I'm sleeping with my curtains closed from now on."

Tyler grinned before suggesting, "If you ever can't sleep, you can always call me. I don't sleep well anyway so I wouldn't mind having someone to talk to."

"Oh?" Victoria asked, suddenly feeling a fluttering feeling in her chest before she saw Enid with Wednesday in the distance.

She then added, "That's okay. I'm sure it's just one of those 'nothing special' things you'd do for anyone."