2: The Most Human Feeling

Victoria was granted her own dormitory–a small one in Ophelia hall. Her mother had convinced Principal Weems to allow it, as it was an old storage room that was never put to use anyway.

Her dorm had built–in-shelving units along the same wall of the rather large square window. Under the window was a bedding area that she had made. Her small walk-in closet was tucked along the right side of the wall, a weight scale hidden in a corner.

And the part she liked least was the standard upright piano along a blank wall that had not been cleared from the storage room. She hadn't dared to touch music since her time at Beauxbatons.

On the left was a little desk with all of her school belongings. The shelves in the room were what didn't make her mind the small space. And because it had once been a storage room, it was very brown and beige–much like the Weathervane–making it cozy.

Her room was finalized with a gift from a teacher, Miss Thornhill. It was a pot planted with a gladiolus flower.

"I heard very little on why you switched schools," Thornhill said when she first met Victoria. There was a sympathy in her eyes that said otherwise from "little." "I think you're going to fit in just perfectly here compared to Beauxbatons."

The gladiolus flower she received was a light blue, kind of the way she felt at Beauxbatons. It was quite ironic, considering it also resembles strength and ambition.

"Have you gotten a chance to tour the school yet?" Principal Weems asked Victoria kindly as she sat in her office.

The young girl shook her head. She hadn't gotten the chance to explore, with all of the unpacking she had to do. It had taken her the entire two days before school to unpack.

"Oh, well I suppose that can easily be taken care of, as I have a student who's looking for volunteer hours," Weems said then added, "And have you gotten your uniforms yet? Each student gets three pairs, but I'd like your measurements."

She suddenly felt sick to her stomach. Her measurements? She was mainly concerned about the way she'd look in such a feminine uniform. Surely it would not flatter her?

Remembering the discussion previously discussed between the principal and her mother, Weems cleared her throat and said, "Right. I forgot, your mother has already sent a request. You'll find your uniforms in your dorm by the end of the day."

"Thank you."

"Well then," Weems said, clasping her hands together. "Rowan will be waiting for you just outside the door for a tour, dear. I'd be glad to do it myself if I had the time, but there's another new student who demands attention."

With a nod, Victoria stood from her seat and entered the hall to come face to face with a boy with brown eyes and round spectacles. He had burnt-brown colored hair and smile lines as she caught herself before crashing into him.

"Oh! I- hi," Rowan said, surprised by her sudden presence. They both laughed awkwardly before she took a step back.

"Hi," she said quietly. "My apologies, I wasn't expecting someone right in front of the door."

"No worries," Rowan reassured with a laughing exhale and hands on his hips as he nervously met the floor with his eyes. He turned his attention back on her to introduce himself with a hand. "Rowan Laslow. I'm assuming you're Victoria Halliwell?"

"Yes, right assumption," Victoria said in an attempt to change the awkward mood. She held an upside-down smile on her face, unable to laugh at her mistake.

About an hour later, she and Rowan stood in the center of the school, the "Quad" as they call it, with an overwhelming amount of information in Victoria's mind. Rowan seemed to have noticed Victoria's distress and asked, "Anything you want to retouch?"