Distraction

(Mia)

"Mia it's almost nine o'clock, you ready yet?" Becca beckoned from somewhere in my bedroom.

I poked my head out of my conjoined bathroom, spotting her as she spotted in the middle of my room and surveyed the surroundings, not seeming as surprised as I was that it looked exactly the same, like it did the night Ms. Caroline ushered me away from here.

Everything was still in the same place, all the pictures on my bulletin board and mirror were still hanging there, my sandals I had worn that day were still sitting under my window bench where I had kicked them off when I got home from school that day. My clothes were still folded in the drawers and hanging in the closet, it was like I had never left.

"It's like a time warp, huh?" I whispered, glancing around at the remains of my few teenage years here, she whipped around to face me. Yet I didn't catch her expression as I once again scanned around the room in awe.

"Yeah... not a speck of dust on a single thing." she mused, glancing back around. "It's like time stood still... like they were waiting for you." she muttered, her eyes coming back to land on me.

"Yeah." Was all I could respond; I didn't know what to say about this. I was the one sent away, exiled from Havencrest, yet nothing of me was erased. Why? Why did they keep everything?

Leaning against the bathroom door frame, I sighed and bit my lip, she was right it was like they had been waiting for me all this time. Maybe they were just as affected by my absence as I was being away from them.

"So... Ms. Caroline wake up again?" her question drew me back to the moment at hand.

I shook my head. "No... she's really weak and pale. I sat with her for a little while after Dimitri carried her to her room... but she never woke up." muttering in a soft tone not necessarily talking to Becca.

"Hey... we are going to have some fun tonight and catching up, right? So, let's get in an upbeat, positive attitude, please." she demanded waving her hands in front of her to make her point. I beamed at her, just like high school, demanding and bossy as ever, I loved that she hadn't changed in the last five years.

"Well since you asked so nicely." I chuckled, mocking her serious tone. She turned to narrow her eyes at me, knowing that I wasn't taking her serious. "Anyway... tell me about this club? Dante works there?" I questioned, desperately wanting to know everything I could about the last five years, even more so since she mentioned the club earlier.

"No, they own it." She giggled, at my stunned expression.

"They?" still confused by the information.

"Dante and Dimitri... They own the club together... Their dads helped them get it started a few years ago, to help..." she paused grimacing as she pursed her lips. I stared at her expectantly waiting for her to continue. "To help distract them from you... being gone."

Letting out a deep sigh I closed my eyes. "Oh." was all I could manage. What could I say? I didn't choose to leave. I didn't ask to be taken away from them, but the guilt of them suffering because of my absence gutted me.

"Maybe this could be your second chance with them." Becca muttered, walking up to me and rubbing my arm reassuringly. I shook my head, slowly meeting her gaze.

"I have a boyfriend... who I just moved in with." Whispering out the words like they were a criminal confession. Her eyes widen in shock as her mouth popped open, fear quickly replacing the surprise on her face. "What?" I demanded; a sense of dread washed over me.