Aslan

The evening came quickly after the Witch's visit, the night even quicker. Anne had spent her time practising with her bow. Although Edmund was safe, Narnia was still at war.

Anne had watched her siblings go to bed, and after the day she'd had, she should have been exhausted, but anxiety stirred in her stomach, keeping her awake. The sofas in the tents weren't the most uncomfortable, and Lucy had commented that the sheets were soft. No matter what Anne did, she couldn't sleep. Lucy was tossing and turning too, Anne heard her huff loudly out of aggravation before sitting up suddenly. Anne follows suit, about to offer for her to lay on her sofa, but they both notice Aslan's shadow pass their tent.

"Susan!" Lucy whispers loudly, watching Anne slip on her cape, and grab her satchel and bow. Susan wakes up, and gets the hint, taking her own things and sneaking out of the tent with her sisters.

The sisters follow Aslan for a few minutes, hiding behind trees and being as quiet as they can. Suddenly, Aslan stops.

"Shouldn't you three be in bed?"

"We couldn't sleep," Lucy steps out from the large tree they were behind first

"Please, Aslan. Couldn't we come with you?" Susan asks

"I would be glad of the company for a while. Thank you," the three girls walk forward, and hold on to his mane gently, Anne grins at how soft he was. She loved cats - even large ones like Aslan.

"Is it considered rude to say how soft you are," Anne whispers, Aslan laughs lowly

"I shall take it as a compliment, just this once,"

The group walks together in silence for a while, before Aslan stops "It is time. From here, I must go on alone.,"

"But Aslan..."

"You have to trust me. For this must be done," he turns to the girls "Thank you, Anne and Susan. Thank you, Lucy. And farewell," he walks away, but Anne takes her sister's hands, walking behind a tree, and then leading them towards another area of the wood where they can see the Stone Table.

The Table is surrounded by the Witch's creatures, holding torches and cheering as Aslan walks up the stone steps to the table. The Witch steps up onto the table, wearing a grey dress. She holds a stone knife in front of her. Aslan sees this and seems even sadder. He stops in front of the Table.

"Behold. The great lion," one of the witch's minions pokes him with the sharp end of his axe before slamming it into him and knocking Aslan to the floor. The Pevensie girls watch in horror.

"Why doesn't he fight back?"

"He's sacrificing himself Lou," Anne mutters. Edmund will live.

But Aslan will die.

"Bind him!" The creatures tie Aslan's legs and muzzle him "Wait! Let him first be shaved!" The creatures begin cutting off Aslan's mane and the girls cringe away, Anne opens up her arms, and both Susan and Lucy lay against her

"Bring him to me!" Aslan is dragged onto the Stone Table before the Witch's feet. She kneels beside him, whispering something the girls couldn't hear. She stands, addressing the crowd "Tonight... ...the Deep Magic will be appeased! But tomorrow, we will take Narnia forever! In that knowledge, despair..." Aslan and Lucy's eyes lock "...and die!" She plunges in the knife and Aslan's eyes widen in shock and pain before slowing closing. Anne grabs her sister's heads, pulling them into her chest as they sob, she looks down at the floor, her own tears dropping on their hairlines.

"The Great Cat... ...is dead!" The rabble cheers loudly " General. Prepare your troops for battle. However short it may be,".

✵⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆✵⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆✵

The girls stayed hidden until the witch and her followers left, they slowly stand in the dark and walk up to the stone table, Lucy steps up to sit next to Aslan's body, she unscrews her bottle of healing potion, but Anne stops her as Susan speaks.

"It's too late. He's gone,"

Lucy sobs, and Susan climbs up onto the table with Anne, they sit and Anne strokes Aslan's shaved mane.

"He must have known what he was doing,"

Lucy buries her face into Aslan's and her older sisters do the same, wrapping their arms around each other as they sob.

A small biting sound makes Anne look up and she sees mice approaching, chewing at Aslan.

"Get away! Get away, all of you!" Susan exclaims

"No. Look!" Lucy exclaims, they notice that the mice are chewing at Aslan's binds. Anne wipes away her tears and helps them untie him, they push his muzzle down and Lucy strokes his face.

"We have to tell the others," Anne croaks out "The Witch will kill them all.."

"We can't just leave him!"

"Lucy, there's no time," Susan says gently "They need to know."

Lucy looks away and into the forest "The trees,".

✵⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆✵⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆✵

(notes: friendly reminder that comments mean the world to authors! I'd love to know that you're enjoying this fic, it motivates me to keep writing)