Chapter 32

Simon heaved as he collapsed onto his hands and knees in the grass outside of the pack house. He spit venom out of his mouth, watching the grass wither and die under the effect of the corrosive fluid. Venom burned through his throat, his shoulders beginning to shake as sobs tore out of his mouth. His hands clawed at his throat, one ripping the collar of his shirt apart to get it away from his neck. His nails dug into his throat, though it did nothing to stop the grotesque amounts of venom his body appeared to be producing. The venom glistened his fangs in the setting sun, perhaps a last warning for his prey to run whilst they still could.

"Simon...SIMON!"

He could feel someone shaking his shoulders, but his vision had blurred long past the point of seeing who was in front of him.

"Get...away...from...her."

His fingers unwrapped themselves from the fabric of his tattered shirt. The ground became more stable beneath him as he pulled away from the hands latched to his shoulders and pushed himself to stand. Everything in his mind muddled within itself, barely keeping track of his mission. He needed to escape whatever hell he had put himself into. What danger he had unknowingly subjected upon the heart of the pack.

"SIMON!...Simon!...Simon....Sim..."

The farther he got, the easier it was. His thoughts became clearer as the scent of blood receded from his memories. His throat still burned, but no longer from his quenching hunger. Fingers tentatively pressed against his neck, and he winced in a breath as he pulled back a venom-coated hand. He tugged off the tattered remains of his shirt, wiping off as much of the clear liquid as he could.

Beau. Shit.

The thought entered his mind so quickly; he was running back toward the pack house before he could decide if it was a smart decision to return. He didn't know how much time had passed since he left. Edward's phone was in his hand and he was calling Leah in the span of a second. She picked up on the first ring.

"I'm so sorry, I thought your scents would have covered hers. Make me more immune. I'm on my way back. Where's Beaufort? Is he okay? Please tell me he is okay."

"He's alright. One of the boys got Edward. He was just here and he got Beaufort. They're coming to find you now. Edward thought it wouldn't be a good idea for you to come all of the way back here."

The calmness in Leah's voice caught Simon as odd. She had just watched him almost drain the life out of her cousin, and Simon had been expecting a more explosive reaction.

"I'm sorry I ruined your big day," Simon found himself murmuring into the phone as a silence overcame the call. He couldn't understand what was happening within his own body, but he needed to pull himself together. He clicked off the call as he heard footsteps and the short cry of "Babe!" Edward released as his eyes landed on Simon. Beaufort squiggled his way out of Edward's arms, running across the short distance between his dads.

"Baba!" He shouted as he crashed into Simon, his short arms hugging his Dad around the waist.

Simon sank to his knees, wrapping Beau up tightly into his arms. His hand brushed Beau's chestnut curls back as he pressed a kiss to his temple. Leaves crunched under Edward's approach, stopping short of his partner and son. He extended a hand to Simon, which Simon took to stand back up. Beaufort tugged on Simon's hand, asking to be carried back. Edward helped Beaufort up onto Simon's back, their son's arms wrapped loosely around Simon's neck. The husbands joined hands once more, and they both held on tight as they started their trek back home.

***

"What's going on? I thought you were out hunting?" Simon slowed to a stop as he returned home with Edward and Beaufort. Their family eagerly stood on the patio outside of the front door. Everdale was nowhere in sight nor smell, allowing Simon some peace of mind. Esme stepped forward, holding her hand out toward Simon. Simon stepped closer, taking the key she held out for him. Simon glanced over at his husband, only to see his smiling face.