Chapter 22

As the speeches went on throughout the night, Simon remained seated next to the Clearwaters. Bella and Edward were seated at the main table with Carlisle, Esme, Charlie, Renee, and Phil. Simon had been offered a seat with the rest of the Cullen/Hale siblings, but he didn't feel as comfortable with them. All it took was a brief glance, and Simon knew he had been invited over by the two wolves.

Some of the speeches were a little awkward –Jessica's– and others were pretty questionable –Emmett's–, but some of them were pretty good. So far, Simon's favorite had to have been Charlie's. Now, it was Edward's turn.

"It's an extraordinary thing to meet someone who you can bare your soul to. And who will accept you for what you are. I've been waiting, what seems like a very long time, to get beyond what I am. And with Bella, I feel like I can finally begin," Edward spoke calmly as he held the mic.

"So I'd like to propose a toast to my beautiful bride. No measure of time with you will be long enough. But let's start with forever." Edward raised his glass after his short speech, moving to sit back with Bella as the crowd went back to normal.

Though he wasn't shy to talk, Simon was often considered a man of few words. So, when he moved to take the stage last, he felt a little nervous as Edward and Bella's eyes instantly landed on him. He took a deep breath, and he stepped up to the mic as the crowd began to quiet down again.

"Ladies, Gentlemen...Emmett," He briefly added on, shooting a look at the childish male, who stuck his tongue out in retaliation. "If none of you know me –which would be such a shame on your part– my name is Simon Levy. Somehow, someway, I was picked to be the best man tonight."

His gaze briefly skimmed through the crowd, before landing back on his two partners.

"I might joke a lot, but truly, this has been one of my greatest honors. Edward and I have known each other for a very long time now, and when Isabella showed up along the way, well, our lives changed for the better. Edward found his partner in life, and I found one of my most cherished friends."

Simon briefly shot a wink to Leah at the last comment, watching as the wolf pouted from her seat.

"When you look at the definition of 'love'," He continued on, his eyes finding Bella and Edward again, "The answer you get is 'An intense feeling of deep affection.' If I'm speaking the truth, which I am, I don't think that definition does justice to the relationship Isabella and Edward share with one another."

He paused for a few seconds, gathering his thoughts as he watched Bella and Edward share a small smile.

"I'm not an expert on love," Simon said, his tone quieting as he watched Bella and Edward lean closer in their seats, "Nor will I ever claim to be. But their relationship, I'm telling you, is the most passionate, the truest connection that I have ever had the honor to witness. It is heavy, it is real, and it is beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. If any of you find something like that: Never let it go. Because once you have that, your life will never be the same again."

***

"C'mon," Edward spoke up as he neared Simon. He grabbed the brunet's hand, pulling the male along after him. "Bella and I have something we wanted to show you before we leave."

Though confused, Simon followed quickly along as he gripped tightly onto Edward's hand. Edward slowed as they approached the living room, walking into the room. Upon spotting the rest of the family in the room with Bella, as well as Charlie, Billy, and the Clearwaters, Simon grew more confused as to what was happening.

Simon allowed Edward to lead him over to the couch, sitting down when the bronze male gently pulled him down after him.

"What's going on?" He asked, only to get smirks and grins in response.

Bella stood up from her spot next to Charlie, moving to sit on the table in front of Simon. She swept a strand of her brown hair behind her ear before she held an envelope out to the brunet.

Simon took it, shooting her a curious glance. He flipped the envelope over, carefully opening it without tearing it. He pulled out the papers it held, scanning through the letter. He froze as he took in the words written. His gaze drifted up to meet Izzy's eyes, briefly flickering between her and Edward.

"Please tell me you're not joking," He murmured, his disbelieving voice drifting throughout the silent room. "You're serious, right?"

Edward's hand found Simon's, gently squeezing it as he answered the brunet.

"As of today, Bella and I are officially Edward and Isabella Levy. All you have to do is write your signature, and it'll become permanent."

"Of course, throughout Forks, we'll be called Cullen, but legally, we're both Levy," Bella added on, shooting Simon a small smile as her brown eyes shined brightly.

Within a flash, Bella and Edward were embraced tightly by the brunet. Simon clung tightly onto them, biting harshly onto his lip to try and control his shaking. He pulled back after a minute, holding Bella in his lap as Edward curled up into his side. Briefly sniffling, he spoke up, flashing everybody his signature grin.

"Somebody better get me a pen—"

***

Simon stood out in the driveway, waiting for his last chance to say goodbye as Bella said goodbye to her parents. Simon approached Edward, stopping next to the bronze-haired man.

"You better take good care of her, Eddie," He murmured, keeping his voice low to keep the conversation between them. "Word of advice; go for the thighs, try not to grip too hard with your hands. She bruises easily. And you don't get to bite without supervision."

Edward seems to choke at Simon's words, staring at the brunet with wide eyes as said male snickers.

"Relax," Simon says with a smirk, "I'm just fucking with you. Not literally, though. That would have been so much better. I'm serious about the bruises, though. And the biting. Pace yourself, and you'll both enjoy your time together."

"Whatever," Edward huffed as he shifted his stance, a telltale sign of his embarrassment.

Simon began to add another comment, but cut himself off as Bella approached them. She wrapped her arms around Simon, hugging him tightly before pulling back. She kissed his cheek before brushing some of his hair out of his face.

"What are you planning to do while we're gone? Got any plans?"

Simon shrugged as his gaze flickered back to the crowd of people behind them. His gaze found the Clearwaters, before he looked back at his partners.

"I promised Leah before the whole newborn incident that I'd go traveling with her at some point. I figured now would be a good time to do so. Lahote wanted to tag along, too, but he isn't sure if Sam will allow it yet. We'll see."

Bella nodded, no longer seeming jealous of his friendship with the female wolf. As far as she was concerned, Bella now shared a name with Simon, and she thought that was enough. After all, it had been Leah's idea that caused Edward and Bella to legally change their name to Simon's. She owed the she-wolf, that she knew.

"Well," Edward spoke up, "We better get going now. I don't want us to miss our flight."

Simon nodded his head, stepping back away from the newlyweds.

"I expect some Polaroids when you get back," He said, "I shouldn't be the only one taking photos of you two. Don't go having too much fun without me."

"Edward!" Simon quickly called the male back, having forgotten to give Edward his gift.

Edward, though confused, walked back over to his male partner. Simon grabbed his hand, pulling a ring from his pocket before placing it in his hand. Edward slid it on before looking at Simon in confusion.

'I love you.' Simon thought, grinning as Edward's face instantly lit up. Edward pulled Simon into a hug, subtly placing a kiss on his cheek as he whispered to his lover.

"I love you too."

He watched them go after that with a smile on his face, ignoring the dark pit that began to gnaw through his stomach. He waved as they pulled away, watching them disappear down the road. He fell back into the crowd, trying his best to ignore the strange feeling that was burning through his body.

If only he had learned to trust his instincts.