Chapter 28

Carlisle stood in front of Bella, fixing the cuff on her arm as he ran his standard tests to see how her health was doing. His expression was blank, but Simon had gotten good at reading his brother-in-law's body language. His muscles were taut under his dress shirt, his fingers shaking ever so slightly as he scribbled a few more notes on his clipboard.

"What's the problem?" Simon asked, three pairs of eyes snapping to him in question.

Edward and Bella shifted their gazes between the two men who seemed to be staring one another down. Simon's hand tightened over Edward's knee as Carlisle remained silent, the bronze-haired man placing his hand over his husband's as he too waited for what Carlisle wasn't saying. Simon's body went rigid as he saw Carlisle's eyes as they began to shimmer in the lighting of the room, becoming uncharacteristically glossy for the doctor.

"It has significantly worsened over just the past few days. Bella, you've lost almost 20 pounds instead of gaining weight like you should be. The baby isn't allowing you to get the nutrients you need to keep your body healthy. I don't...I'm not sure how to fix it, I'm sorry."

Simon watched as the blond doctor practically ran out of the room, going to hide away in his office as he tried to figure out a solution to their problem. Simon dropped his head back against the couch, staring out the window.

"I look so damn hungry," Simon practically growled in his thoughts from his spot between his spouses, staring at the reflection of his dark eyes in the window.

"Oh my god!" Edward blurted out as he rushed to stand up, stumbling as he ran to Carlisle's office. "Carlisle! The baby needs blood!"

Simon and Bella shared a wide-eyed look at their husband's words, a grin breaking out on their faces as it all started to make sense. Edward rushed back into the room, Carlisle following close behind as he squeezed the contents of a blood bag into a cup. Rosalie and Emmett appeared in the doorway as Bella took the glass in her hands. She hesitantly raised the glass to her lips before she began to drink.

Simon immediately had to look away, his mind frazzled as he watched his wife drink blood. Images flashed through his mind of Edward tasting Bella's blood for the first time, both pictures playing simultaneously in Simon's head. He cleared his throat before he looked back over at Bella. She had a smile on her face as she drank, her skin regaining some of its natural colors. Carlisle checked her pulse as she drank, alerting all of them that her pulse was already much stronger.

Bella grabbed Simon's shirt, pulling him into a kiss. A groan slipped from his throat as he tasted the remaining blood on her lips, quick to suck it off as she wrapped her hand tightly into his hair. He inhaled deeply as she tugged on his hair, overwhelmed with her sweet scent. Someone cleared their throat, forcing the two of them to break apart. Simon bashfully looked away when he met Edward's eyes, his pupils blown wide from the scene he had just witnessed.

"Simon, I need you to come with me to the hospital. I'll need to get more blood bags since this is significantly helping Bella already," Carlisle said, drawing the brunet's attention away from his husband.

Simon briefly huffed before he followed the patriarch of their family, pouting along the way as he caught a glimpse of his husband and wife disappearing off to their bedroom without him. He borrowed some of Carlisle's clothes to blend himself in with the hospital staff.

The ride to the hospital, though quick, gave Simon enough time to calm his thoughts and focus on what they came to the hospital to do. He followed Carlisle through the building before he matched the blond's quick stride. Simon flashed a smile to a few of the staff and patients, trying his best to seem friendly as to not stand out against the happy atmosphere that seemed to occupy the halls.