Chapter 8 : The Emperor Of Gold

Kane's POV

We ended using a makeshift raft to travel across the river. It was a particularly deep river so our packs were too heavy to swim across with. Made out of loose branches and vines, I put our stuff on the raft and began pushing it with my arms and pushing across with my feet. I got a few feet across but then I looked back to realize that Gale couldn't swim. 

She looked at me from across the river bed with an apologetic look. As I swam back I thought to myself, yeah, that makes sense, most of the rivers in the north are frozen year-round. So there's really no point in learning. I then easily placed her on top of the raft, which made no change in weight, and swam us both across the river. After a few minutes of drying our clothes and dismantling the raft, we were back on our way across the forest.

Gale looked very annoyed, she took out her notebook, which was dry because our bags are waterproof. She wrote down and showed me,"Why aren't we using any roads?"

I sighed as I put a hand on my head, I said,"Trust me I would, but there really isn't. The forest around here is really dense in the South. Outside of small infrastructure in secluded packs, there really isn't any big roads. Because remember? Southern packs are always fighting.  Once we cross in the middle plains area, a few hours from here, we'll see more civilization, so hang in there okay?"

She blew a piece of hair out of her face and put her notebook away. She looked really annoyed. I don't really know what to do to make her feel better.

I thought to myself, if it was that other person, she probably would complained that we aren't moving fast enough. I scratched my head, I've never heard of something like that happening. Gale doesn't seem to remember anything that person says or do, nor she does of her. Are they two completely different people? I mean when I talked to her earlier, I can't imagine Gale ever saying something like that..

Ahh. It's no use thinking about it now.

I said to Gale,"We'll since we have nothing better to do, why don't we use this time to practice your power, Gale?"

She looked at me skeptically, she touched the two scars on her cheek again, a habit I noticed she does whenever she gets anxious. I held my hands up, I said trying to comfort her,"I won't do anything okay? You can move at your own pace, it's just that I won't be around all the time for you. You need to know how to use your ability or else someone might hurt you. Abilities are apart of you, like a limb or a eye, if you don't use it, it might not work again in the future."

She looked down, slouching while she walked now, saying nothing as usual. I lightly tapped her shoulder,"Look, let's start off with something simple. Try phasing your hand through your other hand."

I did the motion with my hands, pretending I could phase when my two hands met. She sighed and took one of her hands and slowly approached the other as if it was hot iron. When her hands met, the finger tips started to slightly disappear, she started to breath heavily and her eyes darted around. She started panicking, I started to panic too, it she stops midway she might conjoined both her flesh and bone together. I tried to think of different scenarios of how to comfort her but just ended up put my hand on her shoulder.

I said softly while trying to smile,"You just need to take a breath okay?"

I touched her wrist as softly as I could, it was small and frail, it was as if I could snap into two if I wasn't careful enough. Sparks flew as I touched her, she slowly match her breathing towards mine. She started to calmed down a bit as I guided her hand slowly across her other hand, and it slipped through just like that. With a slight cold sensation, in an instant, our hands phased through her other hand. 

She immediately looked back up at me with her eyes sparkling, she let out a sigh of relief. I smiled a little and let go. She was staring at her hand in disbelief, jumping up and down a little, seeing my mate happy made me a little bit happy.