Chapter 5 : Forest

Gale's POV

I don't know what I've felt when I saw him laugh but it sort of put me at ease. We walked forward into the forest, hiking for a few hours. I had no idea where we were going but Kane looked like did. He would occasionally look at landmarks or scan the terrain for passable area. I noticed it before but he seems to me like he was a real wilderness expert. 

He seemed like he enjoyed himself as we kept walking. I frowned, while wiping away my sweat. I hate it here. It's hot and humid, the dirt and grass was wet so it got all over my shoes, and so many bugs. They all were crawling on my wounds and trying to drink my blood, the more I rubbed on them, the more bugs were attracted, then they just reopened the wounds I already had.

I wished I was in the cold climate of the North, where I could feel the wind against my cheek, and the snow on my clothes. I miss it there. I cursed myself, it's no use thinking about that now. Common, you survived through worse. This is nothing.

We then finally made it to a clearing, it was a meadow area with thick long yellow grass. Kane said,"Okay, I think were close. I'm pretty sure you turn left at the meadows..."

Then he walked left without hesitation, I groaned internally as I followed him. I was picking the leaves off my hair when I suddenly bumped into Kane. I almost growled, being annoyed already. I was then suddenly grabbed and yank into a ditch bellow a tree, now being splashed with mud.

I looked up at Kane who was covering my mouth, I panicked a little, squirming and trying to break free. He looked at me and put a finger to his lips. He slowly removed his hand, still holding onto me tightly, as we heard people in the distance. 

"Ugh, this is so annoying," A male gruffy voice said.

"Quit complaining, your lucky you weren't kicked from the rout,"A female voice said,"Common maybe if we actually get game, he'll let you keep you head."

The male scoffed,"It was one bunny, was was the harm in that? Fine, whatever, common I think I caught a scent. Maybe a deer."

"Yeah right,"The female said sarcastically. 

Then their voices faded away as they left.

Kane sat down sighing,"That's troublesome."

I looked at him tilting my head. He then explained,"Their rouges, wolves who ran or kicked out of their pack. Their typically violent and often resort to thievery but it seems like these ones are part of a rout. Same idea like a pack, but rouges stick together while moving constantly."

He got up and offered a hand,"I don't wanna pick a fight with them, because then one thing after another and then full on war. Southern packs will find any reason to fight each other, it really is such a hassle."

He helped me up and said,"Common the pack shouldn't be too far from here."

We then walked again through the dense forest, even though I've never spoken to him before, we found ourselves in conversation. He would talk about small things, places he's been, survival tips, people he'd come across. I never answered him, yet he always looked at me as he spoke, guessing what I was thinking and replying from that. Unlike some others, even thought I'm basically mute, he still treats me like a real person and not just some inanimate object to bounce thoughts off of. I then suddenly started wishing I had a notebook or a journal of sorts to write stuff down so I can talk with him more because all his stories were so interesting. 

I learned a little more about him, he is from the North. From one of the largest packs, Raven Crest, he had travel all around the continent, exploring various places un-native to werewolves. Places with winged people, people who breathed water, creatures from the skies. Meeting all sorts of people and creatures and all sorts of wildlife encounters too.