Chapter 7 : The Past Fires

Gale's POV

Kane said,"You got everything ready?"

He made me triple check my backpack so I was slightly annoyed but I nodded again. Joy and Jay then met up with us at the northern border of their pack near a small creek.

Joy smiled,"Good luck on your journey."

Jay waved at us, emotionlessly. We then said our goodbyes to Joy and Jay as we embarked again, further north. 

After a few hours we entered a vast wet marshland region. Swamping mud waters soaked through our shoes as we hiked across the mud. Trees were high above with roots that spread like spiders into the water and tall green and yellow grass covering the mud from our view. I groaned mentality as we hiked across the terrain, this was torture in it's own way, I thought to myself.

It's only been about a week and yet I noticed significant changes with my body. I felt stronger, I could walk for longer without any breaks, my bones weren't skinny as before now I'm properly getting fed and getting good sleep. I was in no way healthy as an normal average wolf, but I am starting to feel a little better, I could even almost see muscle in my legs. 

I took off my sweater and stuffed it in my bag, it was too hot and humid to wear it anymore, I also took off my shirt it was sticking grossly to my body. Leaving only my top on. Even Kane was starting to sweat a little, he finally took off his coat in a few hours and held on to it as we finally made it out of the marshlands. 

We both ended up panting and sweating as we found a cold cave hidden with vines and roots in the forest. We went inside and it felt like getting hit by an ac at full blast. I sighed with relief as we put our packs down, the cold hair hit our bodies in just the right way. I then rubbed my shoulders which were sore from carry my pack for so long. 

After a few minutes of rest, Kane got up and said,"I'm going to go get some fire wood for the night, it's hot now but it's going to be freezing at night. I'll be back in half an hour or so."

Then just like that he left again. I sighed as I leaned against the cold stone wall. I looked at the small crack in the wall that seemly led even deeper in the cave. I couldn't really tell because my eyesight isn't as good as a wolf's eye should be. There's nothing going to come out of there right?

Just in case, I scooted a little bit closer to the entrance, I then pulled up my legs and wrapped my arms around them. I put my head on my legs as I thought about what I should do now. I sighed as I looked at my hand then my arms, all my wounds and bruises healed over finally. Some turned into more scars but it's still great because this is the first time where my body wasn't in constant pain anymore. I gripped my boney hands together, I still look so frail and weak. 

I bit my lip thinking of how pathetic I am, forget about Kane and all the slave crap. Even before then, when my pack was attacked I was completely useless, I did nothing to help my family, my friends...

Since I was alone here with my thoughts and with no sense of constant danger anymore, my mind began wandering to dangerous thoughts. I began thinking about the past... I then cursed at myself as I blacked out.

Four Years Ago

I was fourteen then when it all happened. 

I woke up yawning as I got out of bed, I stretched as I began walked out of my tent. In my pack we didn't usually live in houses or buildings. The only building here was the pack house, a two store grand stone house that still felt pretty rustic, and even though it was the pack house, it owned by the whole pack, anyone could sleep or eat there, but most wolves prefer the outdoors. We were a small pack living in the frozen tundra, with a massive cliff to the left of us and a huge dense snowy forest to the right, it always felt like home.