Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I made my way down the stairs smiling at Michaels mum Karen as she unpacked the shopping and began putting the food away.

''Hi Mrs Clifford.'' I said leaning on the side counter

''Hello Brooke. I told you call me Karen.'' she shook her head smiling taking a pause before speaking again. ''-Are you feeling better sweetheart?'' she asked my face heated up in embarrassment for throwing up in her toilet last night but I nodded my head... I didn't even remember seeing her last night.

''Need any help?'' I asked

''No she is fine.''Michael mumbled wrapping an arm around my waist, she looked up raising her eyebrows at her son.

''Yes I would love some help Brooke as my own son feels like he lives in a hotel.'' she grinned at me, I let out a small laugh moving from Michaels grip and helping her unpack the stuff.

''I feel so outnumbered right now.'' he mumbled

''Now you know how I feel with you and your father'' she laughs.

Thomas was a guy Karen had been seeing for the last four months. He worked at the hospital as an emergency surgen and bumped into Karen one evening finishing a night shift, they got on really well and he was very supportive of the space she needed during the time of the divorce. He hasn't quite moved in yet but he stays here a lot when they get days off together - he seems nice enough and Michael seems to get on well with him too.

''Don't lie to Brooke and pretend you don't get your own way all the time.'' A middle aged man said walking into the room and kissing Karen on the cheek.

''Hello again.'' he said holding out his hand I shook it giving him a sweet smile.

''Nice to finally meet you.'' I smiled back looking towards Michael who had taken my hand in his caressing the back of my hand with his thumb.

Although I had met Thomas before it was only ever a brief encounter so it was nice to finally have a conversation with him.

''I'd better take you home now.'' He said and I nodded. I picked up my bag from the bottom of the stairs and my shoes in the other hand.

''Going so soon we haven't even got to know each other yet?'' Thomas said, I looked at Michael whos face was angered and then back at Thomas giving him an apologetic smile.

''Maybe another time. I'd love to see some baby photos , '' I grinned looking back at Karen who chuckled softly.

''We'll have to do a dinner with your parents and all''Thomas suggests. I paused feeling uncomfortable at the mention of my parents.

''Umm , Yeah I'll ask them. They work a lot I'll see if they have any time off.'' I half smiled

''Okay lets go , lets go!'' Michael rushed pushing me softly out the door , I yelled a goodbye and Michael closed the door walking in front of me.

''That was rude Michael.'' I mumbled speed walking to catch him up.

''I don't like it when he plays happy families. He's not my father.'' he mumbled

''Hey Michael... don't say that.'' I said grabbing his hand and making him stop in his tracks. I trailed my hand over his cheek leaning up to place a kiss on his lips.

''Want to talk about it?'' I asked and he shook his head taking my hand , walking towards the car and opening my door for me.

****

Michael pulled up outside of the house and I let out a deep breath before undoing my seatbelt , I looked out the window then back at Michael.

''You can take a minute.'' he said tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.