Entry #2

The great education system:

I am working on this for my "amazing" school district project. I personally don't know how much I want to tell them but the scholarship money would be nice...

So here is what I have...

Digging deep into the world of school one must consider the time in which our modern education was derived from. The way we're taught is that of the industrial times. It is at a time where students are going to work in factories right after school. Now though, many students no longer go to factories for a living after high school and most of the skills taught in school fall to the wayside. Could it be time to redesign our education system?
Most students of modern society in high school have more interest in learning trades or focus on one specific subject. Perhaps school boards need to consider making it where students can form their schedule to fit their interest. For example; if a student is more interested in a medical career teachers and concealers should take that into consideration when forming a schedule. A student whose interest lies in the world of mathematics and science does not need advanced English, perhaps replace the course with something more suitable such as another science. This gives the student a feel of College courses in a highschool setting.
At the same time not every student wants to go to college so schools need to relax on pushing college to every student. It causes more stress for the student to feel like they have to go to college. Meaning they have to strive for good grades and high scores on standardized testing. With high stress levels students can not focus on their end goal and many lose focus on what they want to do in the future.
Continuing on the topic of stress the mandatory standardized testing is a severe issue many students dread. What does the test actually do for a student besides giving them more stress and pressure from teachers? It doesn't guarantee them a spot in a college. It gets them to reconsider if that. And what of the students who struggle with sitting in a room for hours to take one of these tests? do they get lower scores because they aren't test takers? but it doesn't prove their actual knowledge. If colleges want to know how much a student knows and how they act then schools need to switch to how to hold professional interviews and how to present yourself. Grades aren't the future. The students are. It's time to take the focus off of numbers and put it back onto the students.

Sincerely

- Alora Marian Doyal

Author note:

Okay funny story her "scholarship" in the entry is actually something I did right and turn in for my highschool English education higher up. She said it brought up good points and that's the last I heard about it lol. But I feel it fits Alora much better than me!

Thank you for reading!

Like follow share comment!

-E.G