-9-

paul, mili, and jessica heaved, trying to catch their breaths as they entered the little cavern

it had looked totally abandoned until a fremen threw a little people in their direction. suddenly, fremen began to come out of their hiding spots one by one.

"do not run, outworlders." a man says.

"you will only waste your body's water." the man revealed to be stilgar says as he deadpans at paul and jessica.

mili held her hands up and spoke in fremen, "stilgar, these outworlders are with me. they mean no harm."

stilgar grunts. "you spoke yourself. 'your allegiance lies with the atreides." he says. "plus, we could use an extra body of water." he finishes.
milis eyes widen. her own people threatening to suck the water from her body.

"stilgar, hey! you know me. i was there when you came to my fathers council." paul consoles.

"oh. this is the dukes son." stilgar continues.

"why are we waiting. we need their bodies water." another fremen by the name of jamis says.

"this is the boy i told you about. we cannot touch him."stilgar says.

"ah, how can he be the lisan-al-gaib?" a fremen woman speaks.

"he hasn't proven himself." another says pulling out their knife.

"jamis, that was a brave crossing they made in the path of shai-hulud." stilgar begins.

"he does not speak or act like a weakling. nor did his father." he finishes.

"my thumper saved his life! go back to reason, stilgar." jamis says.

stilgar sighs.

"we have powerful friends! you help us off-world back to caladan, you will be well rewarded." jessica says.

"what wealth can you offer beyond the water in your flesh?" stilgar says.

stilgar studies the three.

"hmm, the girl and boy are young. they can learn our ways, but the woman is untrained. and too old to learn." stilgar says taking off his shawl. jessica and paul follow suit.

mili just backs up, afraid to hurt her friends.

stilgar swiftly takes the knife out of his sheath and swings at jessica. jessica twists his arm, knocking him over and eventually gets him in a chokehold before holding her knife to his throat.

paul grabs milis hand and leads her up the mountain, fighting fremen on the way up. once they get to the top, paul pulls out his mini pistol.

"back you dogs! she'll cut my throat." stilgar says to the fremen.

"why didn't you say you were a wielding woman? and a fighter?" stilgar asks. jessica leans into whisper in his ear,

"conversation ran short."