-1-

A GIRL STRIDES ON THE SANDS OF ARRAKIS

A GIRL STRIDES ON THE SANDS OF ARRAKIS. HER FACE NON-VISIBLE, HER DRESS FLOWING LIKE THE WAVES FROM CALADAN'S OWN SHORE AND HER HAIR BLOWING WITH AN ELEGANT WHIRL.

paul's eyes dart open. another dream. he thought.

it was the same girl he had dreamt of several times, faceless yet still undeniably beautiful. the dreams were blurry and fragmented, but
still visible enough to see.

-

"it's good you're up early. your father wants your full dress." lady jessica says, taking a bite of porridge.

"full dress? military?" paul asks.

"ceremonial." Jessica replies, staring at her son.

"why do we have to go through all of this if it's already been decided?" paul asks in confusion.

"...ceremony." jessica says with a monotonous tone.

paul huffs. he'd rather prefer military. ceremonial was much more complex.

he then looks at his mother pouring a glass of water before reaching for it. instead of giving it to her son, however, she places it in front of her.

he knew what she was about to ask.

paul, already exhausted, blurts "i just woke up.."
jessica however doesn't have it. "if you want it make me give it to you." she glares.

paul sluggishly fixes his posture before mumbling "give me the water..." in a monotonous manner.

jessica looks at her son with that stern glare every mother gives their child when they have done something wrong. "the glass can't hear you, command me." she sternly says.

paul understands her seriousness, and quickly recollects himself. he intensifies his glare then speaks in a distorted voice, "give me the water."

jessica's eyes close as she handles the glass, moving it forward a few inches before stopping.

she opens her eyes and gives paul the water. "almost." she says. "almost?" paul asks dissatisfied. she ignores his questions and says, "you look tired, more dreams?"

paul's eyes unfocus, remembering the girl on the sand.

her hand slowly moving across the surface leaving a trail in her path, beneath the sand, a thick layer of spice lies. some of the spice residue sticking to her hands making them seem as if they are glowing.