ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟮| 𝗣𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗲 & 𝗣𝗿𝗲𝗷𝘂𝗱𝗶𝗰𝗲

• Αφιερωμένο στον/ην Wimbug

Keira

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

The institutions taught me one thing—there was no way we could live here if we wanted to be safe. I believed, and so did Axelle and Wylan, that the institutions were hospitals and I just realized that they were prisons. Prisons for the mind.

Miles was supposed to be dead, and perhaps he would have been better off that way. Instead, he was brought here once, brainwashed, and then fed to the Death March like a lamb to a slaughter and brought back here as punishment.

They killed my parents for this. They killed them, and destroyed my entire life for what? What were they trying so hard to conceal?

I held my brother close, a storm raging within me. Anger, sorrow, and pain intertwined and I had to uncover the truth behind Veridonia. My parents' deaths, my brother's torture, my life...everything.

I exchanged a glance with Wylan who was intently focused on the road in front of him. Axelle was leading our way, and my brother was barely able to walk or talk to us and I was scared.

Did I already lose him to Veridonia?

We made our way back to Axelle's house, although I was very much tempted to visit my old house with Miles. It was still standing but it wasn't as safe as Axelle's. Miles also needed to breathe fresh air, otherwise, there'd be no way he could get better.

Miles' condition was deteriorating rapidly, and all three of us knew that there was a very very slim chance that he'd be able to survive. Every moment spent in Veridonia felt like a ticking time bomb, leading us closer to our deaths. I knew we needed to act quickly if we were to have any hope of saving him.

Once inside Axelle's home, we lay Miles down on a couch, his frail form not taking up much space.

"I'm going to fetch some water and clothes," Axelle said hurriedly and left, while Wylan paced anxiously, his brow furrowed in deep concern.

His brows furrowed in deep concern as he contemplated our next move.

I knelt before Miles, gently brushing a stray lock of hair off his forehead. His dirty blonde hair, once vibrant, now appeared almost grey and lifeless. His eyes fluttered open briefly, but darkness was the only thing I saw. I didn't know whether he could even see me or not. I didn't know what had happened to his eyes. Was he able to see...anything?

I gulped, my heart clenching as I remembered the old Miles. The vibrant, free-spirited painter who suddenly slipped away before my eyes.

"Miles," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "Can you hear me? It's Kee. Please, you have to stay with me."

How was I going to save him when he seemed so far beyond my reach?

Suddenly, a soft hand rested on my shoulder. It was Wylan, his eyes filled with concern. "We'll find a way to help him, Keira," he said, his voice surprisingly steady. "We can't let Veridonia destroy more lives."

I knew what he was thinking. For him, there was a possibility in this void that his mother was alive, along with his sister. He was waiting for the day that he'd reunite with them, just like I had with my brother.

Axelle returned with water and clothes, her expression grave as she took it all in. "Baby Alissa can sleep in my room today. Miles can go to Papa's old room and you, Wylan and his father can stay in Baby Alissa's."

Wylan nodded. "I'll just help clean him up first."

Axelle sat down on a chair and retrieved a package from her pocket, gently tearing it open. Wylan and I began tending to Miles, washing away the dirt and grime that clung to him. Axelle had opened her package, only to find a long piece of paper crumpled up in the packet. I stopped, and looked up at her.