ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟲| 𝗖𝗿𝗶𝗺𝗲 & 𝗣𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘀𝗵𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁

Keira

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

I felt useless. Actually, I was pretty much the one causing more trouble and I felt horrible afterward. Wylan and Axelle did their part, seemingly ready for the random-ass danger that appeared out of nowhere. Axelle was smart for once in her life. Wylan was unreasonably nice to me, even after I glared at him for pulling me back earlier.

How was I supposed to know that this man was trying to kill us? How was I supposed to sense the danger the way Wylan did and deal with it as quickly as Axelle did?

I should've known that there was something seriously wrong when the Major told Axelle the stuff about her dad, and I should've been more alert when he told me my entire life story without hesitation.

He knew everything, but what did he know about Wylan? Wylan's dad was a scientist, didn't he say? Wylan's story was the only one that the Major didn't bother talking about which was probably because Wylan hit him in the head and got him on the floor, without a trace of consciousness.

We ran as far as we could, not bothering to check the directions to see where we were. At night, it was nearly impossible to see anything, and it was also colder than ever because the light was never here, the darkness brought even more chills. Axelle and Wylan definitely didn't know about this or chose to forget about it because they were shivering, even while running.

Axelle surprised me the most. She was holding that gun that she stole from the Verids earlier on her shoulder, which must hurt a lot. But she just ran almost as fast as Wylan, who was fast, but not a professional.

Running on these streets was something I knew how to do very well.

This city was our playground and our battleground, every corner, every alleyway, and every hidden passage was familiar to me. However, it was difficult to run through them without light to guide us. I navigated the streets with more ease than Wylan and Axelle, who followed the maze-like path that we took to get as far away from the Verids as possible.

Axelle asked, her breaths uneven from the exercise, 'Does anyone know a place to stay for tonight? We can't go home when the Verids are after us!"

We stopped momentarily in the middle of a corner that shielded two apartment blocks that were peeling on the sides. I remembered this place, it was near my old house before the Death.

Instead, Wylan spoke up. Unlike Axelle, his voice was steadier. "You can go home Axelle, but we can't," he said, pointing at me. "Madame Henderson's house is way too powerful for any Verid to attempt a break-in."

Axelle sighed. "Poor Baby Alissa. I promised her I'd be back in a few hours. Even Mama isn't home. She must be very lonely."

Wylan and I exchanged looks, at Axelle's sudden show of naivety.

"We nearly got killed, but all you care about is your sister being a little bit lonely at home? Are you for real right now?" I asked, my temper getting the better of me.

"She's not my sister," she replied morosely, "But that's not the point."

Whoever this Baby Alissa was, Axelle was hyping her up way too much for my liking. Wylan also looked slightly fed up, his eyes darting everywhere except anywhere near Axelle.

"We'll make a stop at my house, and then we'll take my father and we go to Axelle's house. It's the safest place in the entire country," Wylan explained, his voice strained but determined.

I nodded, satisfied with Wylan's plan. Axelle's house was by far the safest place we could go to. The only shadow of doubt in my mind was meeting the infamous Madame Henderson who seemed like an evil woman from what the Major said.