Llama in the Storm (Part 2)

THROUGH ADAM'S EYES

They all, minus MARCY, are at the table. Lou Is putting his jacket on the chair. It might be me, but he looks sad he has to be dry now. Manny's jacket is already on the chair, and he pulls out Kate's chair.

KATE

Do you think we can make the concert?

MARCY

It's outside. I'll check if it's canceled.

A thunder's boom startles everyone except Lou, and myself of course. I turn to get there drinks, still keeping the phone to my ear, even though i am no longer listening and keeping my eye on the group. Can never trust anyone.

Marcy turns to Lou, who doesn't get up but speaks from the table.

MARCY

Lou, is there anything you can do?

LOU

It would cost a finger.

I place the drinks on the counter, with the cell phone still in the crook neck. What Lou said sticks in my mind. "Cost a finger?" Was that a threat? It has to be, right? What else could it be? I respond to the phone with reassurance that we will watch TV together or whatever she asks. I'll figure that out later and let Marcy know the drinks are up.

Mannyr gets up to help her with the drinks. They make it the table. Lou has his face buried in his phone as Kate reaches out to grab the drink in Marcy's hand.

MANNY

I actually got your drink.

He hold Kate's drink out to her. She grabs it with a smile.

KATE

Thanks, does it already have-

MANNY

Two sugars, you know it.

She gives him a sweet smile, and the kid eats it all up. God, hes one of those types. I know them all too well. Smitten beyond belief and deep in her sauce. It's endearing in a way if it wasn't so naïve. My number one rule in relationships. Doesn't matter who you are, don't lose yourself in the relationships. Its two people, not one.

MARCY

I just saw online that the concert—