Light Years (Part 2)

I stared at him...for too long. He had an awkward smile on as he spoke. I could tell he was trying his best not to offend me. I grabbed his name from the name tag on his pharmacist coat. It read Angel.

ANGEL

Is there something I can help you with? 

You've been a bit quiet. If you need more time--

ANA

No, it's okay. I will take this.

     I push the pill bottle in front of him. He rang it up quick. I didn't want the moment to end. A thousand thoughts hit my head, but none left my mouth. I wanted to say anything to make this time last longer.

ANA

Such a white coat.

     He looked at me confused. I don't blame him.

ANGEL

Yup, it's a pharmacist coat, and that's 

what I am, a pharmacist. Working here.

     He never looked me in the eye, and his cheeks turned red. At the time, I didn't know what that meant. I do know; he was so adorable.

ANGEL

So you're a trucker?

ANA

Huh?

     He pointed at my hat when he said this. I stood there frozen. I wasn't a trucker. I mean, did technically come here to haul goods back to my planet. He didn't know that, though. He was trying to make a joke about my hat. Apparently, it's called a trucker hat.

     Of course, I didn't know that, so I stared at him for too long. The line behind me of an old lady and a teen just stared at us, too embarrassed for us to intervene. I picked up my bag and left. Never looking back.

     There was no way I could recover from that. Still, my mission was done. I went back to my ship and made a dark discovery. My ship's engines were damaged in the crash; it can't fly, and I have no idea how to fix them. So I turned on the beacon and radioed back to my planet.

     Thats when they laid it on me. The ship they sent me on was the only one able to make space travel fast enough to reach Earth from our planet. Without it, the trip would take years. The time difference was so massive that they decided it would be faster to build their own ship. Still, they couldn't give me a timeframe of how long it would take as my ship was the first of its kind.

     I was stranded here for who knows how long. Selfish but necessary.