Chapter 7: Sora and Riku vs Ansem

After being dragged down into the dark portal, Sora and Riku opened their eyes and found themselves standing in an area completely surrounded by darkness. Before them stood Ansem, the Seeker of Darkness as he continued speaking to the heroes.

Ansem: At the start of your test, when you struck out from that tiny island, you and your friend, Devon saw me there dressed in a robe. Immediately, you knew something was wrong, so without even knowing it, you each dove into the Realm of Sleep. And you became exactly what that sigil on your back represents: a Dream Eater to protect Devon from nightmares.

The two boys both had the Spirit Dream Eater symbols on the backs of Sora's jacket, and Riku's vest. Sora's was the typical emblem of the Spirit Dream Eaters, a heart-shaped symbol with a simplistic, innocent look, a bowl-shaped tail on the bottom, and swirling wings, colored in a faded pale peach fading to a deep dark pink with a dark purple border. Riku's was similar in design, only it was black with a white border.

Riku: Dream Eaters?

Sora: Us?

Ansem: Correct. But you both failed to protect him. While you were galvanizing through the Sleeping Worlds, Devon traveled through worlds of his own, on a path completely separated from you. One that the Dark Lord had laid out for him, while you were left wandering in the dark, completely oblivious to the danger your friend was in. And he was forced to endure... alone. Against his nightmares, the horrors of his past, and the growing darkness inside him.

Ansem pointed his left index-finger towards Sora and Riku.

Ansem: After all your efforts to command the darkness and protect those you cherish, (turning his hand over and clenching it into a fist) it is a shame you locked away that power in the end.

Riku: (sighs) Except... it's not over. (clenching his own right-hand into a fist) We can still save Devon.

Ansem: So, you understand what to do.

The Seeker of Darkness extends his right-hand out to the two Keyblade Wielders as an invitation to join forces with him.

Ansem: Set the darkness in you free and you can rescue your friend.

Sora stares at Ansem with an angry expression, grunting softly, then relaxed as he looks at Riku on his right.

Riku: Ansem, or... Xehanort. You used to be a Keyblade Wielder. But the darkness stole your heart, and the Keyblade with it. Don't you see? That's half the reason I'm on this journey. 

Riku looks down at his chest and places his right-hand over it.

Riku: After allowing the darkness into my heart, am I still fit to wield the Keyblade? Even after locking you away, here you are, haunting me again. So, I get it now. There's no point in trying to hold the darkness back.

Ansem: At last, you see clearly.

Riku: You know... when I look at you... there's this memory that flashes back. A secret I said I'd keep when I was little. The main reason I kept dreaming about the outside world... was because of them.

A vision briefly appears in Riku's mind as he remembers, all those years ago during his childhood, when he first met Terra, one of the lost Keyblade Wielders, and Ducar, Devon's father, and the conversation they had.

Ansem: (raised eyebrow) Hm? 

Riku: Our journey begins here, and now.

Riku stretches his right-hand out infront of him and he summons his Way to the Dawn into his grip.

Riku: We're going back to the real world, and then to Devon's side.

Sora nods his head in agreement and follows Riku's example, stretching out his right-hand and summoning his Kingdom Key into his grip.