Tip 9: do what you like

"Good morning! I am Missa Kinam, and I'm here for a job interview"

"Good morning Mrs! Follow me, please!"

The receptionist stood up and led the way through a few hallways and stairs. Behind her, I couldn't help but admire her outfit. A black knee length pencil dress that highlighted her beautiful hourglass figure and red stiletto pumps that made her legs look endless. Geez! Even the receptionist was gorgeous, so what would the HR look like? I ran my hand over my pants.

I did my best for that interview. I asked for Nina's help to go shopping, and I got the light brown suit pants I was wearing. I also went to the hair salon and got some long box braids. I tried my best to cover my face in makeup, and the results was... acceptable. When he came to pick Clara up, Samuel told me I was beautiful. Coming from him, it's hard to assert the objectivity, however, I was really pleased to hear that.

I was asked to wait into a small room. It made me think of an interrogation room, three black chairs around a white table, and that was all. I checked the time on my phone, there was still ten minutes left. I heavily breathed in to gain some composure. I crossed and uncrossed my legs, turned the chair slightly to the side, then back straight in front of the table. My right hand unconsciously reached my mouth and I started chewing my thumb fingernail.

"And please, refrain from chewing your fingernails," Samuel told me when he dropped me off for my first job interview.

It was seven years ago, and I was so stressed that my collar was completely drenched in sweat.

"Don't stress out, it's just like selling something. You have the competencies and they want to buy it. Okay?"

"But I'm not alone!" my voice was high pitched and shaking. My hand unconsciously reached my mouth, but Samuel grabbed it before I chewed it. "It's a market, with lots of providers! Why would they buy my competencies over others?"

"They might not!" He laughed when he saw my distressed face, then cupped my face and warmly smiled at me. "They would take you because you can do an excellent job. But you have to be confident in your competencies for others to put their trust in you. So, you should first take a deep breath to calm down, and whenever you feel your hand going to your mouth, just join your hands and put them on the table. Okay?"

I immediately took my hand off my mouth and put it on the table, just as Samuel showed me. I did not get the job that time, but his tip came out handy. I checked the time on my phone, five more minutes. I quickly went through my notes on the company, and other things that were usually asked during interviews.

The door suddenly opened, and a woman who seemed in her fifties came in, dressed in a colorful wax tailored dress and a head wrap in the same fabric that made her look like a typical rich Ghanian woman. Her way of looking up on me made me think of her as a wicked stepmother. She was followed by a younger man, maybe in his thirties just like me, who looked more accommodating. Was this supposed to be the good cop bad cop thing?