Tip 6: consider things from another perspective

"What are you doing here? And at such an hour!" I didn't even try to hide the annoyment in my voice

Nina lifted her head when she heard me but stayed silent. She was wearing a faded jean, a black hoodie despite the heat, and... slippers? Seeing Nina wearing slippers out was like seeing a cat jumping into a pool. Nina, the one I knew, was a fashion victim. With her, there were no such things as simple jeans or all-purpose clothes. She wouldn't even agree to open the door in slippers, and I didn't even think she could possess such an awful hoodie! Even I found it lame, and God knew how low my standards were in matters of clothes.

Looking carefully, I could see she'd been crying. I was still angry at her, but couldn't help worrying. If she came to my place so late at night looking so gorgeously awful, something must have happened. Something serious.

I didn't want to show my concern to her, but I couldn't bring myself to keep her standing outside. I went back in, leaving the door open as an invitation to come in. She silently followed me and closed the door. In the living room, the TV was still on, with the volume low to not wake the baby demon up. And the main female character was being carried by her man in his arms. I rolled my eyes at her fake attempts to get off his arms (we all know she liked that). Then I focused back my attention on my unexpected visitor.

Arms crossed over my generous chest, I gave her the most disdainful look I could manage to produce, scrutinizing her from head to toe. Under the light, she looked even more awful. Her buzz cut looked strangely messy, here eyes were bloodshot and puffy, completely expressionless, her tiny lips dry. She was mindlessly pulling on her sleeves, swinging back and forth on her dusty feet. Did she walk? Given the situation, I couldn't suppress that lingering feeling of superiority at that moment. For once, I looked better than she did. But as she kept silent, I started to get worried.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I couldn't keep up with the silent war, a war I was fighting alone that is. "And why are you looking like a homeless person?"

"I..." Nina started hesitantly, avoiding my gaze like a kid caught messing up. She did mess up, though. "I didn't know where else to go," she breathed out with a painful expression, as if it was the hardest thing she had done so far.

That made no sense. She didn't sound like she came to see me, at least not about the only thing I considered she could look for me, meaning an apology for hooking up with my husband. No, she sounded like she just needed a place to go, and even a motel could do. But why?

"Did you have an argument with James?" I asked with mockery. She finally met my gaze and gave me a pitiful look when I expected her to be angry.

"We broke up," she shrugged as if it was casual information, leaving my eyes and mouth perfectly round.

Why would they break up all of a sudden? They were engaged, after she told James she had an affair, he proposed to her and she said yes. They even travelled all over to Accra to meet her parents. So why would they break up?