Tip 4: take a first step

I was standing in the living room, lost in the contemplation of our wedding photo, a frame half and a meter long hanging on the wall

I was standing in the living room, lost in the contemplation of our wedding photo, a frame half and a meter long hanging on the wall. It has always been one of my favourite things in this house. I remember we took three days choosing, amongst all the pictures we took, which one we would use. We did argue a little about it, but just a little, because Samuel always let things be my way.

On the picture, we were in our traditional wedding outfits, I preferred them to the classic gown and suit. It was a long wrapper over a blouse and an intricate headgear for me, and a three-pieces boubou for Samuel, all made in the same white and gold woven fabric. Samuel and I were facing each other, his hands on my waist pulling me towards him, and mine cupping his face. He had bent forward, his eyes on my cherry red lips and a dreamy smile stretching his mouth. I on the other hand was smiling bright, my sparkling eyes searching dived into his. We looked happy. We were beautiful and happy. That day, I believe, was the happiest day of my life.

And that day, at that moment, I was so certain this marriage would be the strongest, the most immutable part of my life. Until now, Samuel had proven to be the person I could rely on no matter what, the one to support and cheer me up in any situation. Having him by my side meant for me having almost nothing to fear. He was my anchor, my foundation. He was my confidence, and now that he wavered, It felt like I was on the edge of collapsing.

I slide along the wall until I ended sitting on the floor. For the past two days, I probably dried out all the tears in my body, because I didn't feel like crying any more. In front of Clara, we behaved as if everything was fine, but when she was not around, I avoided him. And this situation was driving me crazy. I needed time to process the news, even though it was not so unexpected, it still took me off guard. I needed time to think about the right thing to say and do.

Samuel must have understood my inner struggle, and didn't insist on having that conversation. He didn't try to talk to me, unless necessary, and decided on his own to sleep on the couch. Why was he so caring? It would have been easier to sort things out if he was a scumbag. I felt bad for him because he obviously had little sleep, and he went to work this morning with enormous bags under his eyes. But I should not feel bad for him, since I was no better than him. I had a big and comfortable bed, but could not sleep. At least he still managed to look handsome, while I looked like a zombie.

Nina didn't call, nor did she text. I had no news since she left that night, after causing havoc in my life. And I realised while looking at my phone, waiting for an apology (apology I would not accept, but still), that she was my only real friend. The only person besides Samuel I could openly talk to. And it has been so since high school, when we met and became friends. I have always been quite introverted, and even though Nina managed to bring me along with her to all these 'occasions to socialize', I barely made friends.

"I won't always be there, you know!" she said during one of our video calls while she was still in Toronto. "You have to make other friends, or a day might come you will need someone to talk to but won't find anyone."