Chapter 8: Goods for goods

For this place to be a place to exchange intels, it looked and was pretty cozy. An apartment, I first thought it would be in a dark alleyway next to the apartment building itself. But no, it was inside. One kitchen, a living room, a bathroom and a bedroom. We were in the living room. The look of it was like a nineteen-sixty-ish living room. Old wooden furnitures. An old wooden coffee table in front of the leather couch I was sitting on. It had enough place to fit two people, and tightly squeeze a third person in. There was a togglable leg rest on both sides of the couch, activated with a lever. Of course, I didn't put mine on for respect purposes. There was an old television, thick, two antennas on top. It could only broadcast old black and white mute comedy show. I knew it because it was currently turned on. There was nothing on the coffee table, it was empty. There was another couch, able to fit one person in. At the front diagonal from where I was seated. The wolf was settled in this very brown leather couch. Rather bright lights were illuminating the room, contrasting with the old furnitures.

Wolf: So, for what you've done, saving the both of us with that over-spreading fire. I'll give you one information for free. But if you want more intel, then I hope you bring money. So, what do you want to know?

I think a little to find the best way to ask.

Ray: As there been any recent sight of time fluctuation zone you can recall? If yes, where?

Wolf: That's two questions in one sentence.

Ray: Well, if I get the two answers, I'd need to have the first one positive in order for you to answer the second question.

He does a light smirk, subconsciously acknowledging that I do not lack skill in bargaining.

Wolf: Well, yes, I have had recent sight of time fluctuation zone that I recall. As for where, somewhere around the Netharly neighborhood.

The neighborhood in which I live with my brother... I take out 100 bucks out of my pocket and give it to the wolf. He counts it and nods. Before stuffing the money in his own pockets.

Wolf: Anything else?

He asks raising an eyebrow. I would've said no and asked to wake up... But curiosity took over me.

Ray: About the homicide of Ray and Daren's parental figures? Killed in their own bed. Got anything about that?

He smirks, raising an eyebrow.

Wolf: I do. A witness said he thought he had seen a blue furred wolf running out of the Rally's house crying. A few thirty minutes after the said time of the homicide. All the logs of the witness' words have been deleted. Lucky for you, I manage to get my hand on a rather illegal copy of the interrogation that took place.

A... blue wolf? I give two-hundred dollars to the wolf. He takes it, count it, nods and stuff it in his pocket.

Ray: How much for the recording tape?

Wolf: Two-thousands, take it or leave it.

I loudly sigh. I take out two-hundred dollars. Intel seeking really can make you broke huh?

Ray: I'll take it.

But before he takes the two-thousands, I pull my hand back.

Ray: I want the recording tape first and hear it.

Wolf: I'll let you hear ten seconds of it. There's a whole ten minutes of questions and answers.

Ray: Alright, bring it.

He stands up after nodding quickly. He goes to the bedroom. After a little 15 seconds that passed quickly, I see him get out of the room, something black in hand. A... VHS tape? That technology is like... 150 years old, or around that time. He put the VHS tape, as old as the television, in a VHS player. The tape starts.

VHS player: Witness number one. The Rally's homicide case. Recording.

The wolf stops the tape and take it out.

Wolf: Ten seconds, you heard it.

I land him the two-thousands as he gives me the VHS tape. I look at it, nothing special, just old technology, a black VHS tape. The name on it finds itself to be "The Rally's homicide, witness #1" I nod as I keep the tape in my hand.

Wolf: Is this everything you needed?

Ray: I'd say it is... May I wake up?

Wolf: Of course, Ray, out of that dream you go.

The room suddenly starts to fill up in some sort of strangely odorant smoke. The wolf stays seated with a satisfied smile. My eyelids feel heavy, I can't speak, I can't move. I suddenly fall asleep, falling back on the couch. 

-------------------

Auuuuugh! What a long week! I went to sleep at one in the morning to wake up at seven thirty in the morning, gave me six hours and a half of sleep for the whole week. Go me sleeping after my history exam toaday eh. But yeah, I know this chapter is pretty short, but I can tell you, no foreshadowing, the next one will be... Special if I may write. But yeah, that's most about it. Now, I shall get some sleep to live for another day, hopefully not tired ~w~

-Pelfox Candlelight

03/29/2024