Chapter 21

Within the small circle, we had drawn in the dirt around the willow tree our four candles were already placed. All we needed to do was light them and invite the elements to join us inside of our circle. Such simple tasks felt so daunting. Weighting the survival of this island on my shoulders was beginning to get to me. I do not know how my mom had shouldered so much responsibility without showing the stress it was causing.

Mom and I joined hands her right in my left as we walked east towards the yellow candle. I lit the candle and began to speak. "Oh, mighty element of air please join us in our circle. We call upon you to bring the power, the clouds, and the storm to us so that we may save our beloved island." A breeze blew through our hair and we knew air was present.

Next, we walked to the south and Mom lit the red candle and spoke. "Great and powerful fire I ask that you join us in our circle. Today we have a challenge like none we have ever faced and we know with your help we will succeed in saving our wonderful island." Our faces were flushed by heat and we knew fire had answered our plea.

Now it was the element of water. The closest element to our cause. For water itself held up our island. As we walked to the west within our circle my mother squeezed my hand reassuringly and said, "You can do this Luna. As the ancestors told you. It was always meant to be you."

We knelt beside the blue candle that sat on the ground in front of us and I began to shake slightly. This pressure was so much to bear. The ancestors had made clear that without me this island could not be saved. The spell required someone who could expand their circle and ultimately cast outside of it. I should feel empowered but I only felt overwhelmed by this knowledge.

"It's okay Luna. Light the candle and speak from your heart," My mother leaned over and whispered ever so softly to me.

I lit the blue candle and rose to my full height. Raising our joined hands into the air. I looked all around from the sky to the ground and took a deep breath. "Water I need your help. Our island is sinking and without your strength and power, it will be lost to us forever. Please lend me that strength so that I may save our sanctuary." The smell of saltwater permeated the area and I knew that water was with us.

One last candle. You can do this Luna. I said to myself as we walked toward our final destination within our circle.

Mom lit the green candle and called to the element of earth. "Earth I call to you to join us in our circle. We need your power to keep this small piece of harmony from returning to the depths. Please hear my plea and answer me." The smell of fresh-cut grass was all around. All of our elements were now present in our circle.

"Okay, Luna it's all you now. I am heading east to put my feet in the ocean and wait for the sky to turn stormy. I will channel with the others to lend you every bit of power that we can acquire. You alone must bring the storm."

No pressure, I think to myself as I open a door in my circle and watch my mother pass through.

After closing the door in my circle, I walk over to the altar and begin. "I am Luna, the sea witch who brings you my plight. I have gathered the four elements within my circle and now I ask you the goddess to help me expand my circle to encompass my island and the witches who stand in the ocean around it. 'Dilata circulus insulam maleficis'"

Immediately there was a blue flash that illuminated what is normally an invisible spell circle. I watched as my circle grew until it was out of sight. I looked to the sky, outstretched my arms upward, and said, "Thank you, Goddess."

Now to be the storm. "I rise and bring the electric storm to raise my island from the ocean. 'Ego oriri adducere electrico tempestas attollere insulam oceanus.'"