Chapter 16

I stepped through the barrier eyes closed as always. The light was just as bright as before against my eyelids but something was different. I could sense someone close to me. I tried to open my eyes to see who was there, but the blinding light was too much for my mortal eyes to bear.

A voice began to echo inside my head. "Luna, my daughter, I haven't much time. You must listen closely if you are to find me in this place."

"Mom?" I said as tears formed in the corners of my eyes.

"I am being held in an isolated corner of the seventeen-hundreds by a man from our ancestor's past. He is using me and my magic to upend the afterlife. If he gets his way he will bring sadness and despair to this place by spreading his mist along with the chaos it causes. His mist is not simply fog. It is spelled to evoke fear. Enough fear that everyone will agree to follow him as the ruler of this plane. Every time-period in the otherworld will feel like the eighteen-hundreds soon. Dreadful and foreboding."

"There is a chance we can stop him but for that to happen you must join me here with him. This is an unimaginable thing to ask of you I know. You have gone to great lengths to hide yourself but a mother knows when her child is nearby. I sensed your presence the moment you arrived. That and I cast a spell on you as a child so I could always find you in case of an emergency."

"Wait, you spelled me?"

"Nevermind that. We can talk about it on Willow Island. You must focus on the task at hand if we are to ever return home."

"What do I need to do?"

"First, you need to exit the barrier. You can not get through here. Second, tell the sisters of our plan and then separate yourself from them. For the plan to work, he cannot know we have allies. Finally, you must cast a spell. That spell will bring you into the seventeen-hundreds through the backdoor I put in place when he made me seal this barrier."

"What is the spell?"

"It simply opens the backdoor. When you exit the barrier curtain turn to your left. There you will see a massive grey building that towers above you. Enter the unlocked front entrance and climb the steps of the tower you saw on the left side of the building when you entered."

"You want me to head inside one of these immense buildings and make my way to the top of a tower in this barely lit environment?"

"I have spelled the lights of the tower you will climb. You will see the illumination through the mist at first glance of the building. Think of it as breadcrumbs to follow."

"Then what do I do?"

"Simply walk to the window at the top of the tower and command the door to open by saying 'aperta invisibilis ianua' as you draw a door with your index fingers. Starting with both fingers together right above your head. Then the left finger draws to the left and then down while the right finger draws to the right and then down."

"So, I outline a door while I say the spell in front of an open window. Then I walk through the invisible door I just drew and try not to plummet to my death since I will be walking out of an open window."

"Yes, exactly. That door will let you into the seventeen hundreds but remember it will also let him see you. If he does not find you and deposit you here with me I will continue to give you a way to find me."

"I will find you Mom and help you fix this."

"I know you will Luna. You have no idea what you are capable of. I love you. Be careful.

"I love you too Mom."

After a few moments of silence. "Mom, are you still there?" I heard nothing in return.