24.

Vikram's eyes fluttered open to the soft morning light bathing the room through
the curtains. As his consciousness slowly returned, his gaze drifted to the woman beside him.

His hand, resting on Adhira's bare waist, tightened reflexively as he felt her soft skin beneath his touch. Her breathing slow and steady in the calmness of sleep.

Vikram couldn't help but smile softly as he admired the way her hair spilled across the pillow and her lips curled in to a serene expression.

With a soft touch, he gently traced his fingers along the curve of her waist, causing her to squirm in his hold, being ticklish.

"Good morning, wife." He mumbled into her ear as she turned around to face him.

"Morn.." She sat up with a jerk on the bed, panic surging through her. Shutting her eyes tightly, she forced herself to stay calm.

Vikram too sat beside her, as he noticed the way her fingers gripped the blanket tightly, and the way she shifted in her position.

"What's wrong?" He asked, reaching out to pry her fingers off the fabric, and holding her hand in his.

Adhira looked at him with tears welling up in her eyes out of embarrassment. Her cheeks turning red in shame.

After a minute of silence and her avoiding eye contact, Vikram realized what must have happened. Getting off the bed, he walked to her side, and asked her to get up.

"There's nothing to cry for." He extended his hand for her, helping her off the bed.

He urged her to take the shower, but Adhira shook her head, turning her back against him, her hands trembled slightly as she started to remove the bed sheet to wash.

"Adhiraaa, leave it and go take a shower." He said, taking the bed sheet from her grasp and pulling her towards the bathroom.

"Let me take my clothes at least." Adhira whispered, making him let go of her hand.

Adhira moved towards the dressing area, and opened her cupboard, retrieving her clothes and inner wears. As she turned around, she noticed that Vikram was taking the bed sheet off.

"You don-,"

"Go take a shower." Vikram cut her off in the middle, as she was about to move in his direction, to stop him probably.

"But you don't hav-."

"Why the fuck are you so stubborn?"

"Can't you hear me just for once?"

Vikram didn't mean to use that tone with her but he did it again. He lost control over himself once again.

Despite his efforts to maintain composure, his emotions overflowed, and as the words spilled out he regretted deeply. Her tearful gaze pierced through his heart.

Fuck

He cursed at himself, running his hand through her hair with frustration, once the bathroom door was closed with a thud.

Taking a few minutes to keep his emotions in control, he continued to remove the bed-sheet and kept it aside on the floor after folding it.