002

          The thought of Alis's reaction to me telling her I can't go hunting with her tonight is almost enough to make me back out. I'm not scared of my older sister by any means, but she can be so damn stubborn and set in 'her way or the highway' that whatever fight breaks out is not worth it. 

    But, I told Alex I'm coming and I don't have a good enough excuse to give him that won't poke at his curiosity enough to go digging for answers. Answers that I can't ever give him for his own safety. 

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not Alis's obedient little lap dog who listens to her every command. I ignore her and sneak out all the time. But, she's been in a particularly bad mood the past few weeks and I can't be bothered with her shitty attitude. 

    So, I've decided not to tell Alis at all. Instead, I plan to sneak out of the house before she even gets home.

    I tighten the last step of my shoelaces, my platform boots snug against my feet as I leave my room behind. I flick the light off and shut the door before making my way down the orange-tinted hallway to where my youngest sister is blasting music in her bedroom.

    "Lei!" I yell, banging on her door so hard I'm surprised the wood doesn't splinter in half. "Leila!"

    "What?" She yelled back, swinging her door open and shutting her music off with an annoyed expression.

    "I'm leaving. Don't tell Alis," I instruct bluntly, watching as the bleached blonde smiled cheekily. 

    "Oh, naughty Mic," She teases, reaching out to place a sincere hand on my shoulder which I quickly shrug off "I'm so proud of you for being fun again,"

    "Shut up, Lei. There's a difference between being fun and irresponsible. One you can't seem to find," I scold her, turning around to walk off down the set of stairs separating the bedrooms from the front door and living areas. 

    "Be back before your curfew, Michaela!" She shouts after me, changing her voice in an attempt to sound like our sister before laughing and shutting her door.