001

          Fate has a funny way of proving itself. My parents were always strict about their craft, following every guideline past its requirements and taking that even further. They were both hunters before I even knew what that was. They tucked us in at night before racing off to kill the nearest bloodsucker. They put Alis in charge of my little sister, Leila, and I while we slept. Leila never took interest in the leech-hunting family business, but, neither did I really. 

     I didn't believe them and blamed their caution on extreme helicopter parenting and their rituals on paranoid delusions. My parents were weird and embarrassing, my pre-pubescent mind was convinced that they were set on this earth to be overbearing and humiliating. 

    But, then I lost them. 

    I watched the very thing they warned me about drain their life away as if they were nothing more than a glass containing water. One cracked open window is invitation enough for those monsters to help themselves. 

     So, I became what they wanted me to be, needed me to be at the time. A hunter. 

     Honestly, I am pretty damn good at it. 

     My job was to scout out the local schools, write down any suspicious characters or cross them off my list. I moved to every school in the district with hopes of exterminating all of them. Unfortunately, that meant that I was lacking academically and my only option was to attend the local college.

          Adjusting my tote bag strap over my shoulder, I drop down onto the cold metal of the bleachers. My head falls to my hand which immediately rubs at my sore temple where a small headache is forming, the sunlight only making it worse. 

    "Big night?" A familiar voice asks from my right. I laugh into my hand, lifting my head up and shielding my eyes from the light enough to see my best friend, Alex Kilton, grinning down at me. 

    "I could ask you the same, Alex," He laughs, dropping down to sit beside me and taking a massive bite from the red apple in his hand. 

    "This is college, baby. A night spent indoors is a night wasted," He reminds me of his philosophy. I shake my head, moving my bag to my feet to allow Alex more room. "I will get you to come out with me one night, Mic. I would bet my first-born child on it,"