𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

HEAVEN

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟑ʳᵈ, 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟓

            IN THE DISTANCE, she watched the waters of the Pacific Ocean dance majestically on the horizon. The waves slid down to kiss the sand, moistening it.

Gradually, the gray-blue hue that painted the sky and tinted the vast sea took on shades of orange, pink, and purple. The salty sea breeze drifted up the rocky cliff to the green plateau where the house stood. She closed her eyes and breathed in the sea air.

Lucas was right. California and the West Coast was certainly a breathtaking destination.

In winter, it was a cold, rugged landscape, with gray clouds and winds that frightened the calm waters of the Pacific.

It was a landscape she loved to observe every day, especially now in summer. A landscape worthy of being immortalized in a painting, just as Faith was doing at that moment. On top of a picnic basket she had placed a canvas on which she was trying to imitate the landscape in front of her with the paints that aunt Jane had given her for her fourth birthday two months ago.

Meanwhile, Max gently combed her daughter's long, curly brown hair as she talked happily about the colors of the sky, the tickling of the grass under her feet, and how she wanted to live there forever.

The little girl turned her head to look at her mother. Max stared at her daughter's smiling brunette face and the bright blue eyes that looked back at her.

"Mommy? How did you and daddy meet?" The little girl asked, who was already tired of painting and was now stroking the fur of Phoenix, who was now lying lazily in front of the child.

Max smiled, surprised that the question had come up so soon. She already knew her daughter was a curious and clever child who always tried to understand the world around her.

"Well..." She began in a sweet voice, allowing herself to recall all those fond memories. "Dad and I met for the first time a few years ago in a bar in a city far away from here, in Dallas, where I was working as a waitress and your father was a customer. And I accidentally got distracted and we bumped into each other and the coffee spilled all over your dad's shirt!"