𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈

CHAPTER SIX

❝ MIDNIGHT RAIN ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

           AS SINCLAIR STRUGGLED to open his eyes, he realized that he was on top of a moving car, speeding away from the prison institute.

Suddenly, the car braked sharply on the deserted, rain-soaked road, causing Lucas' body to roll onto the hood of the car. He groaned loudly as he felt the pain return, as if his bones were sticking through his muscles.

"Lucas, are you okay?!" He heard a sweet angelic voice followed by the slamming of a car door. He had probably died and was already in heaven. But if that was the case, the pain made no sense.

"Come on, get in! Quickly!" The owner of the angelic voice slipped their arms under Lucas' armpits to help him into the car. He grunted half a dozen inaudible words as he settled into the seat, but the angel was too busy adjusting him and buckling him in. Meanwhile, it was already sinking their foot into the accelerator.

"Lucas, wake up! Are you listening?" She slapped Lucas' face with one hand to wake him up, while the other clumsily gripped the steering wheel. "Lucas, are you okay? Can you hear me?"

"Max...?" the poor man stammered, his head resting on his own shoulder.

"Yeah, it's me. Oh my- are you okay?" She asked and Lucas struggled to hold his left arm. It was hard to see in the darkness of the night, but the warm, viscous liquid soaking his hand and clothes was definitely blood.

The metallic smell of blood flooded the car. Lucas' head throbbed. But slowly, despite the pain, he began to realize where he was. Was he... in the car? With Max...?

Max tried to help Lucas, but it was difficult to do so on the slippery road. The car was shaking, making Lucas more and more nauseous.

"You were shot?" She rested her eyes on his shoulder, noticing the bloodstain on his clothes. "Where does it hurt the most?"

"I guess...I thought you'd noticed." Lucas struggled to remove his shirt and wrapped it around his injured bicep. "My whole body hurts."

"I-I heard something, but I wasn't sure if you were hit. I'm sorry, I was more worried about breaking your fall, getting you in the car and driving away. The sound of your fall was much louder. Damn, I thought I killed you, if you had fallen further to the side I would have run you over." She excused herself nervously, trying to maintain a minimally decent driving style while helping Lucas stop the bleeding. "Keep the pressure on. I'll stop and help you in a few miles."