𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

❝ END GAME ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐆𝐈𝐁𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃, 𝐋𝐎𝐔𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐀

𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝟐𝟑ʳᵈ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

           HER NECK HURTS. She turned her head to ease the tension, but in vain. Her numb legs needed a rest. She struggled to keep her eyes open. She hated that feeling of being sleepy after sunrise because it was hard to fall asleep again with so much light on her face. She twisted her wrists to hear the crack of the bones that hadn't moved in a long time.

Max, sitting at the wheel, drove carefully, complaining about not having sunglasses. The blue sky with few clouds allowed the intense 10 am sun to fry an egg on the hood of the car. There was a strong but gentle breeze to counteract the sudden heat. She had her hair tied up in a messy bun behind her head and took off her blue striped shirt to reveal her white tank top to combat the heat.

Lucas slept like a baby next to her. With that angelic face, it didn't even seem like he was annoying sometimes. It wasn't long before he was drooling all over the olive green shirt that covered his torso. The map, all scribbled with x's and circles in cities, was slightly crumpled on Lucas' lap, who sat asleep against the door on the right side of the car, his legs folded close to his chin.

But the sound of Kate Bush's voice echoing through the car from her cassette tape caught her attention. She hurried to turn up the volume just a little so she could hear her favorite song and hum it softly.

"Do you wanna feel how it feels?

Do you wanna know, know that it doesn't hurt me?

Do you wanna hear about the deal that I'm making?"

They left Colorado three days ago. They were running out of money and gas, and as usual, they had to refill not only the car's tank but also their stomachs along the way. They became more and more professional. They attacked more at night and acted more pragmatically and bravely, trying to go unnoticed. Of course, the shopkeepers eventually realized that they were being robbed, but by the time they called the police, it was already too late because they had already gone too far.

"You don't wanna hurt me

But see how deep the bullet lies