𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐗

CHAPTER NINE

❝ HELLFIRE CLUB ❞

⊱ ⸺ { •♟• } ⸺ ⊰

𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐄, 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐀𝐃𝐎

𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝟏𝟖ᵗʰ, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

           MAX MAYFIELD AND LUCAS SINCLAIR are currently the most wanted duo in the United States. Their robberies of stores, banks, gas stations, and carjackings have made the front pages of newspapers, radio, and television. You could even bet that there were pictures of them on lampposts all over town. It was rare to find someone who hadn't heard of Lucas & Max. 

But luckily there was always someone.

They had already left a trail of destruction across Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Oklahoma, California, Nevada and more. They had become addicted to danger and adrenaline. And they'd managed to elude the police every time. They didn't exactly have a reputation as killers, because although their crimes resulted in injuries, there were no victims who died.

Just a few days ago, they were dipping their toes into the fine sand of California's beaches. They ran like children, one after the other, throwing water and pushing themselves into the noisy and voluminous waves of the Pacific Ocean. They frequented biker bars, dancing and drinking into the wee hours of the morning. They met other gangs and even participated in some illegal adventures with them. The unforgettable duo Hunter and Elijah.

But now, as had been the custom for almost two months, Max and Lucas were driving the tar roads across America, trading one city for another. Of course, in the meantime they had replaced the old red Ford Cortina with the dented roof and several broken windows for a beautiful brand-new black Cadillac Brougham.

It was May, and spring had already painted nature in shades of green and blue. The cloudless sky allowed the sun to grow the trees full of bright green leaves. The swallows flew in busy circles building their nests. The temperature has risen considerably since March.

As they drove to a Colorado pub that their California friends had pointed out, they sang along to a Tina Turner song from Max's finally arranged tape, singing louder and louder as if they were in a contest to see who could sing worse.

Little Phoenix was in the back seat, leaning out the open window with the wind in his snout and his tongue hanging out in excitement.

The passenger side window was also open and Max's hair was blowing in the wind. She reached out to feel the strong wind through her fingers. Since the map on her lap wasn't going to be any more needed, she put it on the dashboard, stuck her head out of the window and sat down on the edge of the window.