Chapter VII - Little warrior

New Orleans, 1820

New Orleans, 1820

I cannot believe Klaus has killed another one of Rebekah's lovers. Not only was Emil the son of the governor, but he was also the son of the man who allowed us to stay in his home. The whole family liked this place very much. We came here in 1703, right after we had escaped the old world once again. We help to built the city from the ground up and this place became our new home. Mikael never thought to look for us in a small town in the state of Louisiana like New Orleans.

It was a hot day and Klaus, Rebekah, Elijah and I were walking along the sandy road in this damn heat. I don't understand how the rest of the mourners stand this temperature. All I could think about was hiding from that heat.

Rebekah and I walked side by side. I held her hand tightly to give her some comfort. Just like she did to me when I was young. My thoughts were interrupted by a terrifying scream. I looked away from the crying blonde, towards the noice. A dark-skinned boy was screaming for his life as he was being beaten by a man on a horse.

I felt my blood boil in my veins. This century wasn't so kind to people of our skin tone. I let go of my sister's hand and I started walking towards the boy. I noticed Klaus stopped too and he was furious. The boy threw an apple at the guy on the horse.

"Hit him again and you'll beg for mercy." I shouted at the man beating the boy.

"Get out of my way woman or you will be next." the man replied.

Before I could answer, the guy fell off his horse. I saw a hole that went trough his head. Klaus had appeared next to me. It was obvious that he had killed that man. I smiled to myself. The boy took a step back and seemed afraid of us. I knelt down next to the boy.

"Hello dear. You don't have to be afraid of us." I greeted him gently not to scare him even more. "I'm Zariah. This is Klaus." I looked at Niklaus. "Our siblings Elijah and Rebekah are over there." I pointed to the vampires. "What's your name?"

"Don't got one. Mama wouldn't name me till I turned ten, 'case the fever took me... then it took her." the boy said and looked down on his hands

At looked at Klaus. This boy doesn't deserve it. He lost his mother, he's treated this way just because he has a different skin color, and he's not even ten years old yet.

"You're a survivor, and survivors need names. How about Marcellus?" said Klaus and came closer to us with a gentle smile

"Marcellus?" asked the boy a bit confused

"It comes from Mars, the god of war, and it means 'little warrior'." the vampire explained

I got up and brushed dirt from my dress.

"Now come on little warrior. With us you will be treated as equal. You won't ever be hurt again, I promise."

Klaus stood in front of Marcellus and hold out his hand to the him, who hesitated, but then smiled, took his hand and rose to his feet. Perhaps there was hope for Klaus after all. He told me he remembered how his father used to beat him. He, too, was the bastard child of a man who saw him as nothing but a beast. He saw himself in the boy. But I also saw myself in him and I swore to protect him.

__________

New Orleans, 2013

New Orleans, 2013

Many things have changed. I have spent better half of the century hiding from Klaus. When the opera burned in 1919 and the Mikaelsons fled the city, I took it as an opportunity to escape the tyrant that Klaus had become. From what I've heard he daggered Rebekah in 1922 in Chicago and Elijah abonded him after he found out about it. And since then his only focus was breaking the hybrid curse which he did indeed break couple years ago.

As to Marcel, he has lived with the us for the majority of the 18th and 19th century until he was enlisted in the Army during World War I and was deployed to France until the war ended in late 1918. He returned home and continued living with us until Mikael found us and made us run. Following the Mikaelsons' absence and the subsequent power vacuum in the city's supernatural community, Marcel to eventually rose to be the leader of the vampire faction continuing to build up their numbers by carefully turning humans into his kind. The vampires quickly became more powerful. This made his vampire faction reign supreme over witches, humans, and werewolves during the next few decades until Marcel ultimately became the de facto King of New Orleans. I kept in touch with him over the years. I even returned briefly to the city in the 90s.

From what I've been informed from Marcel. The brothers and Rebekah showed up in New Orleans half a year ago. Apparently Klaus got some girl werewolf pregnant and they are trying to take their reign back.

I'm residing in Portugal right know. Warm climate of Europe always suited me and it was easy to blend in. With the help of my trusty vampires that I sired, I was always one step ahead if someone came looking for me.

I sat in my garden when I heard my phone ring. I vamped inside and looked at the number. It was the phone number I only told Marcel to use in case of emergencies.

"What's going on Marcel?" I answered the phone

"It's good to hear your voice again, sister." said very feminine voice.

It has been almost a hundred years since I've spoken to her. I knew that Klaus undaggered her couple of years ago but I felt guilty that I never reached out to her. I just couldn't face Klaus.

"Rebekah?" I asked, my voice shaking.

"I don't want to interrupt your vacation. But I think it's time for you to come back home." She announced.

__________

Welcome to modern times

Welcome to modern times. I love the relationship between Marcel and Zariah and I will see it more in future chapters.

I hope you like the story so far and please comment and like the story. I would really like to know what you like and and what you would like to see next <3