Chapter I - The Beginning

Mystic Falls, XI century

Zariah. That is my name. Or rather the name my aunt gave me when she had to take me under her wing. From the stories that I've heard from her, my parents died in a battle when I was only two years old. That's all I know about then. I don't even know their names. Every time I ask aunt Ayana about them she says it's too painful to talk about them and cuts the conversation short and non other villager has ever heard of Ayana having a family and even if they did they wouldn't tell me.

My aunt is what they call a witch. A hexa who comes from a long line of witches. She traveled to New World alongside the vikings and her dear friend Esther, her husband and her then two children from the Kingdom of Norway right after a plague hit their then home.

In almost 30 years Esther and Mikael bore more children and they became quite a respected family in our village. There are now six Mikaelsons to be exact. The oldest is the loyal Finn, then there is the intelligent Elijah, the hot-tempered Klaus, the clever Kol, the beautiful only daughter Rebekah and their youngest Henrik. They also had another daughter, a firstborn names Freya, but she passed away in the old world as a child due to illness. Ayana say that her death broke Mikeal. For as long as I can remember, he has always been hard on his children but he was especially hard on Niklaus, his son. I was surprised because they were so similar to each other. One time Mikael beat Klaus so much that he almost died. Rebekah then almost would have almost killed Mikel if Elijah hadn't stopped her.

Elijah is a very smart and compassionate man. He cares very much about his siblings and sometimes acts as mentor to his younger siblings. Since I remember he always help my aunt with more "manly" things around. When my aunt was busy he also took care of me and tought me how to protect myself if he wasn't around. He even tought me how to fight with a sword after he saw how jealous I have gotten when I saw how good of a fighter Henrik has become.

Henrik is my best friend. He is a charming boy, but a bit quiet and shy at times. We grew up together and we are only one year apart. He has been my friend for as long as I can remember and I can't imagine what my life would be like without him. The Mikaelson siblings always joke about how one day we shall marry each other and run off to the sunset. But I don't see him that way or not as of now at least but who know maybe one day who knows.

Ester and Mikael don't push their children into marriage even though their older sons have reached an age where they should be married by now. They believe that they, themselves will find a right girl for each other.

Today is Samhain, the day we celebrate end of summer and begin to prepare for winter. On this occasion, a feast is organized every year in our village. According to some stupid tradition, before the party, each family in the village must kill the best livestock to appease the gods for the new season but since it'a just the two of us in my family we are helping the Mikaelsons.

Esther, Henrik, Rebekah, Ayana and myself sat in the kitchen preparing dishes for today's festivities. I was cutting some vegetables while Rebekah talked to me about some handsome boy she saw by river. I looked at her and I felt a little bit jealous. The girl could have any boy she wanted with her fair skin, long blonde hair, blue eyes, full lips and slim figure, she looks like the goddess' Freyja or Frigg. People say she is one of the pretties girls in the village.

"Esther, dear where are your other sons?" My aunt asked. I looked up to look at the blonde woman.

"Finn is helping Mikael and Elijah, Niklaus and Kol went to catch fish by the water. They should be back soon." She replied

Suddenly I heard the door open. In walked Kol, followed by Elijah and Nik. They were all soaking wet.

"What happened to you?" I asked and laughed slightly

"Let's say Elijah and Nik had a bet on who would catch a bigger fish, but it didn't work out and we all ended up in the water" Kol said through laughter

Rebekah and Henrik also chuckled a little. It made Klaus angry and he went out to change.

"Children, please." Esther said and we all fell silent

Elijah and Klaus were probably arguing again about Tatia, the girl in the village whom they both fell in love with. She came to this village couple of summers ago and was already a widow with a child. Mikael and Esther are not happy about this but accepted Elijah's interest in that girl. They even agreed with her parents that maybe one day their children will marry. But Klaus was also fascinated by her and it angered Mikael even more.

__________

So here is chapter number one

So here is chapter number one. It just the beginning. I will post few more flashback chapters before we get to our times.

Please let me know how you like it and what you would like to see.

I apologise if there are some grammar mistakes. English is not my first language but I'm trying my best <3