Maligno No More

"Do we really need to do this?" Archie complained to Roxy.

"Archie, dalawang linggo nanatin to pinag-uusapan, andito na tayo oh!" Roxy responded.

Archie and Roxy brought their daughter, Harriet, to the pediatric clinic to get her ears pierced. Archie was worried it might hurt her and wanted to wait until she was older to decide for herself.

But with Roxy, his sister, and his mother all in favor of the piercing, Archie felt pressured to agree.

At four months old, Baby Harriet have these large curious eyes same with Roxy. Her other features bore a striking resemblance to Archie, particularly her nose and lips.

"Goodmorning Mommy and Daddy, ready na po?" the pediatrician asked.

"Sure po, doc—" Roxy began. "Huy, Archie tumayo ka na diyan."

Archie pouted and hugged Harriet tighter, who was on her lap, curiously exploring her surroundings while chewing on her chubby hand.

"Huy naghihintay si doc, Archie —" Roxy said to him in a low voice, annoyed.

"Fine! Let's get over it!" Archie exclaimed as he angrily stood up from the chair while holding Harriet.

Once inside, the doctor checked Harriet's ears and nose with a small flashlight. She also used a stethoscope with small stuffed animals attached to listen to her chest and back before gently placing her on a baby weighing scale.

"So far healthy naman si baby, medyo hinay lang sa pagpapadede kasi slightly overweight siya." the doctor explained.

Archie gasped when he heard that the pediatrician said Harriet was overweight, feeling offended on behalf of his daughter.

"Sorry, doc, but I have to disagree. 'Overweight' seems too harsh for a baby," Archie said.

Roxy discreetly pinched Archie's arm and gave him a stern look.

"Actually, gagaan din naman siya once active na pero ayaw naman natin siya mahirapan. So feed niyo na siya,  between 4-5 hours." the doctor said. "Mix feeding pa din ba si baby?"

"Yes po." Roxy replied.

"Okay, you can start introducing solid food na pero half teaspoon muna a day. Okay?" the doctor continued.

The doctor then pulled out some cotton, alcohol, and a piercing gun. Roxy excitedly handed a pair of hypoallergenic earrings to the doctor, while Archie took a deep breath.

"Okay, ready na natin hikawan si baby." the doctor said, approaching Harriet.

Archie lifted Harriet slightly away, confusing the pediatrician, while Roxy facepalmed at Archie's overreaction.

Giving Archie a pointed look, Roxy made him roll his eyes as he sat properly with Harriet on his lap. As the doctor placed the piercing gun between Harriet's ears, Archie tightly closed his eyes.

"Click!" Then they heard a loud cry from Baby Harriet.

"Look what you've done! You made her cry!" Archie exclaimed at the doctor.

Archie stood from the chair and stepped away from the doctor, gently swinging Harriet while cooing to her. At the same time, he kept staring at Roxy as if she had done something unforgivable.

"Mukhang matatagalan pa kami dito." Roxy thought to herself, taking a deep breath.

————————————————

Z rushed towards the door when she heard Roxy and Archie, excitedly welcoming them, especially Baby Harriet.

"Hi, guys! Oh my Gosh!" she exclaimed happily as she approached Harriet. "You look so pretty, just like your Tita Pretty!"