eighteen*

"bye." Makenna nodded, closing the door to Dr. Raynor's office behind her. as she turned around she could see Bucky sitting in the waiting room, and did her best to avoid eye contact.

"Makenna." Bucky called, as the girl walked past him. "no." she shook her head. "Makenna, please." he pleaded, grabbing her arm. "no." she shouted, pushing his hand off of her arm.

if looks could kill, Bucky would be 6 feet fucking under.

Bucky wasn't even sure why the girl was still mad. it had been 2 weeks since their fight, and Makenna refused to speak to him. he was, however, aware of the fact that she was still not sleeping.

still.

still not sleeping.

Bucky had been sleeping in his own room for the past 2 weeks. he only knew she wasn't sleeping, because he had heard her in the kitchen at all hours of the night, on numerous occasions.

he tried to talk to her multiple times, but she just ignored him or yelled at him every time. he wasn't sure which meant more progress.

there was one thing that Bucky did notice about the girl in every one of their very minimal interactions over the past 2 weeks, and that was the silver chain still hanging around her neck.

Bucky's dog tag.

Bucky had also spotted the girl in the kitchen one night with only a pair of underwear and one of his large tee-shirts on.

"James?" Raynor asked, pulling the man from his thoughts. "uh, yeah." he nodded, turning on his heel and walking into her office.

. . .

run.

run.

run.

'don't stop running.' Makenna thought to herself. her feet hit the pavement, one real, one fake, with a smack every time.

'just keep going. it doesn't matter how tired you are.' Makenna thought, as she panted. if it wasn't for those thoughts in her head, Makenna was sure you would've passed out.

those words played in Makenna's head, until her toe caught a rock, and she went flying into the grass. her running blade falling off about 30 feet away from her.

"fuck." she groaned, as she laid staring up at at the sky. "Makenna." a voice yelled, and Makenna sat up and squinted to see Sam, "you okay?"

"'m fine." Makenna grunted, looking around for her leg. "what happened?" Sam questioned, as he walked over to the girls blade. "i just tripped on a rock." Makenna shook her head.

"oh." Sam nodded, handing the girl her leg. "thanks." she smiled, as she slipped it back on. Sam held out his hands to help the girl back up. she took his hands and pulled herself back to her feet.

Makenna's hand found Sam's shoulder while she took a few steps. "so, how are you doing?" Sam asked, as he walked next to Makenna back to the compound.

"i'm fine." Makenna shrugged. "you sure?" Sam confirmed. "yeah." she nodded, keeping her eyes low. "okay." Sam replied.

there was a moment of silence before Sam started to speak again, "how are you and Bucky?" Makenna just stayed silent. "Makenna?" "right, uh, we're not speaking." Makenna responded.