Scene 6 - Do Something

General Theme:
The Bottom of the Ocean

(The opening of the door switches to the opening of a curtain as Alberto's hand pulls it aside. He goes right inside with Luca following behind a bit more nervously. Luca jumps when the curtain closes behind them as it falls back down and the room gets a bit darker.)

??: (Spinning around in a chair) They're here, right on time. I would've made a bet had anyone else been in here.

Alberto: (Putting both his hands on the table pretty firmly) Alright, look, I don't know who you are or what you want, but you have to turn her back right now.

??: (Turning her back to both of them to organize something on a shelf) Can't.

Alberto: (Defensive) You have to.

??: Do I want to? No. Can I? No.

Luca: Wh-... what do you mean?

??: You can't undo a curse with magic. Why do you think all the curses in fairy tales are undone with something weird? Finding a certain rock, telling the truth, true love's kiss...

(Alberto and Luca both make different expressions of bleh when she mentions the kiss part.)

Alberto: (Trying to put this all together, takes a moment) So you- You can't undo it?

(?? only gives a very tiny inclination of a nod.)

Alberto: (Basically ticked) You put a curse on one of my best friends and you can't reverse it???

(?? just shrugs.)

Luca: (Kinda upset) But... she doesn't even know who you are! That's not fair.

??: (Under her breath) Kids. "It's not fair, it's not fair!" (Voice returning to normal) I gave her a warning after I cursed her. That is fair.

Alberto: But—

??: I know you look up to her father, kid. But maybe he's not as heroic as you think... (Mumbling) More like a coward.

(Alberto... really can't say anything to that and just goes angrily quiet so Luca tries to respond for him.)

Luca: I-if you're mad at him, then why... would you put a curse on Giulia? That doesn't ma-

??: (Turning back to them with one finger raised) But it does make sense. One of the best ways of revenge to someone... is through their family. (Knocking a domino over, which goes into a slow domino effect with the ones it's paired with) If it's clear she's struggling, then the fatherly empathy will win over and he'll be beside himself with worry to care for his precious sea monster. He'll close the pescheria, and I'll be able to reopen again.

(A beat as ?? gives a cruel sneer.)

??: Besides, Marcovaldo's a fisherman. She's a sea monster... Wouldn't it be ironic if one day he fished up his own daughter?

Alberto: That isn't funny.

??: Like I said, I gave her a warning. Whether or not she chose to listen is her problem, not mine.

Luca: Can't you at least tell us... how to undo it?

??: I also said that before—I don't want to reverse the curse.

Alberto: Then- tell us what to do-!

??: Fine, you want my advice? She has to live with it. You may as well teach her how to do it. Show her how to do... whatever it is you sea monsters do.

Alberto: How are we supposed to-

??: You'll figure it out. Or not. I could care less. Now go on, shoo. The last thing I need is a couple of kids messing around here. (Hand gesture to the door)

(Alberto is about to say something before Luca gives a little tug on his arm to pull him to the door.)

Luca: (Quietly) Don't. We can't do anything. You told me that.

(Alberto hesitates for just a moment before giving in, and the boys make it out of the shop and back into the market as the sun is beginning to set.)

Luca: What are we... supposed to say?

Alberto: (Walking backwards in front of him, hands in his hair) I... (Sigh) I'm supposed to be the one who's great at coming up with ideas, and I don't know.

Luca: (Teasing) Hey, have you got a Bruno in your head?

Alberto: (Giving him a look but it doesn't last long, genuinely cracking up) Yeah, I guess I do...

Luca: (More genuinely) It's okay if we don't know yet... We can figure it out when we get there.